Computer Help forum

General discussion

windows xp installation

by jerry11960 / December 9, 2008 1:43 AM PST

I have a dell 4700, about 4 years old,and I'm retoring windows xp with the original installation cd. when I run the cd it will make it through the first few steps. I click on xp install, then I say yes to the agreement, then I put in the key numbers, then it will copy files to the computer. then it wants to restart,but it sops there and goes back into the old windows. but right after it boots if I click on xp setup, it goes into a black screen with a small 1/2 inch line flashing in the very top left corner of the screen and stays there forever, or untill I shut the machine off,why is it not following through with nthe setup?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp installation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp installation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dell tells
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2008 3:16 AM PST

Me to unplug USB cords and such. But you can try that and tell what lead you to install the OS. Why it matters is you may have a machine that crashed due to some hardware issue and you thought reloading the OS would fix it. The full story can help.

Collapse -
pc will copy the restore cd files but will not install
by jerry11960 / December 9, 2008 9:44 AM PST
In reply to: Dell tells

Hi, thanks for replying. No the computer didnt crash. I have already restored it last week, but before I could get it protected I got zapped by Spyware Guard 2008.It has completly taken over. Ived tried a couple of spyware sofware, but cant seem to get rid of it. Like I said , the installation cd will go as far as copying the files, but instead of installing after that, the computer restarts and goes back to the start . It will not read the installation stage. How can I manually get it to read the cd and follow through with the installation.

Collapse -
Here's my thought on that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 9, 2008 10:04 AM PST

It's possible XP is not formatting the drive along the way and trying to save bits and pieces of the old install. That malware is still there.

Try this. Look at step 5 and 6 at http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/InstallXPHome/installxphome1.htm where we can remove that partition, create a new one and XP will format it fresh for us.

What do you think?

Collapse -
zero fill
by CascaLonginus / December 10, 2008 6:38 PM PST

zero fill your hd, never just reformat, see hd manufacturer web site.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?