Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp hotfix

by vics_girl / January 17, 2006 10:07 AM PST

I have a list of Windows XP Hotfix in my ADD/REMOVE section, can I remove these safely without corrupting my system?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp hotfix
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp hotfix
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I could be wrong here but I believe removing a
by Steven Haninger / January 17, 2006 10:16 AM PST
In reply to: windows xp hotfix

''hotfix'' restores to an unfixed state. You don't want to do that. There are removal tools to get rid of the backup folder Windows creates when applying these patches. Once I am happy that the patch has caused no problem, I just remove them manually. These are found in the Windows folder with a name such as $NtUninstallxxxx etc. Just delete these. There will be a corresponding log file something like KB9876543.log and these can be trashed as well. They will disappear from add/remove. Save them in the recycling bin for a time and empty later if you want to play safe.

Collapse -
re hotfix
by badgeruk / January 18, 2006 2:56 AM PST
In reply to: windows xp hotfix

I have a similar list.Would this be why I keep getting a message saying that my disc space is nearly full?

Collapse -
'Add/Remove Programs' List Doesn't 'Take Up Space' But...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 18, 2006 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: re hotfix

...the uninstaller folders, per Steve's post above, do contain files and folders which allow you to uninstall those Windows Updates and Hotfixes. Some of those uninstall folders in the C:\Windows folder contain a sizable amount of files and folders. If you want to save space, simply open Windows Explorer and manually remove the $NTUninstallKBxxxx" folders listed there..IMPORTANT..If you remove those folders, you will NOT be able to uninstall those updates from the Add/Remove Programs section although the list will still remain.

If you would also like to recover some space on your computer, please try the steps in the link below:

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

If you've also got Service Pack 2 installed, try tidying up a little more using the link below:

Cleanup After SP2 Installation
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!