Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows xp home - windows temp folder

Hi

Before I empty this please confirm I shouldn't not do so? It's just I emptied this folder before or one like it and got a system has recoverd from a serious error message!

xp home on a Compaq Presario

Regards - stupid question I know but I've forgotten what I did wrong with the last folder months ago

dilipsinha

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows xp home - windows temp folder
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows xp home - windows temp folder
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows xp home - windows temp folder

In reply to: Windows xp home - windows temp folder

Safe methods include, createing a manual restore point prior to making changes, useing disk cleanup utility is usually sufficent.
start> my computer> then right click the drive (usually C) after computer calculates space, ck Tempoary internet files & Tempoary files (if this is what your after) and OK. Followed you a error checking <SCAN> as well as a defragment (even if it says you dont need to defrag, run it anyways)

If you are refering to going to start> my computer> drive C> Windows> Temp> to empty contents of Temp folder, Id say your headed for trouble. Your question appears clear, what you are attempting to do and why isnt. Perhaps share what you are trying to achieve here.

If your trying to clear Temp Internet files via IE right click IE on the desktop> delete cookies> delete files> & clear history> and etc...

Hope this helps, post back with more info.

Also spybot works well depending on what the goal is in cleaning usage tracks and such.

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Windows xp home - windows temp folder

Thanks very much for your answer.

Yes, I was thinking of c/windows/temp - I think that is what I did last time. Somebody on a forum said you "should regularly empty the windows temp folder". i assumed they meant that.

Can you please explain why it would cause trouble if i did it (so i know what happened last time if that is what i did)!

When you say error checking scan do you mean chkdsk? that is all i have on xp home.

Regards

Collapse -

Can you please explain why it would cause trouble if i did it. Too many to list.And Im no comp geek lol. Mainly once damaged/deleted most are unrecoverable and a format & clean install maybe nessary.
Trouble because I was not clear as to what your goal was. lol Also keep in mind that simple normal matience is sufficent. Alot of suggestions/tweaks are for Office & Business type computers useing wordperfect office and doing alot of editing & etc.
(so i know what happened last time if that is what i did)! Probally tried to fix it when it wasnt broken? lol j/k
When you say error checking scan do you mean chkdsk? Yes, I myself do not have the elaborate schedualed chkdsk to run on a reg basis (usually bi weekly?)
So when I feel the need to clean up I just use
DISK CLEAN-UP and I check these:
Recycle bin
Temp Internet Files
Temp Files
Downloaded program files
NOTE CHKDSK & DISC CLEAN UP are not the same tool
Run AVG on a 24 hour schedual (default)
Zone Alarm (avoid upgradeing past 4.5.494.000)
AdAware 6.0 (usually weekly & cleaning everything it finds)
Spybot (bi weekly as it has not seen a problem in months & months)
Stinger monthly (I noticed it is now out of date this am)
Spyware Blaster runs on restart/reboot
IE History 3 days
delete cookies
delete files
Empty Temp Files when closed is checked in Advanced
Temp Internet file size is set to 15MB

System Restore Size is on 4th notch (has 10 total) and I can still get back to May 15th with several manual created points & system ck points avaible.

In short, dont worry about it is my personal opnion. Windows (by default) expects to have AT LEAST 256kb it needs to operate correctly deleteing does more bad than good unless certain conditions have came about. And then they will let you know by error what the problem is.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;92635

Should you feel the need to help the pc run a bit faster try some simple adjustments like adjust Virtual Memory Paging File Size.
start> right click my computer> properties> advanced> preformance> settings> advanced> virtual memory> change> click SET BEFORE making an actual change in the Initial Size & the Max Size (may wish to make a note what settings were should you wish to undo) custom size = 1.5 x RAM = iNITAL sIZE (I have 248MB of Ram so 248 divided by 2 = 123.5 or (124) 124+248=362 so 362 is Inital setting min, 369 is recommended 369x3=1107 so 1107 is MAX Size
click set and reboot when prompted.
Should you adjust this after reboot is the time to run SCAN in CHKDSK followed by DEFRAG.
I only suggest this as it is related in alot of ways to what you are playing/tweaking with.
Just my 2 cents worth.
click my name to see what computer I have if you like. GOT TO RUN SORRY Wanted to post more on IE settings for commonly viewed (reg visited) sites. but not now.

Collapse -

Personally I don't see it's a big trouble to delete items in the C:\Windows\Temp folder. The files inside are all temporary files used by Windows, and they are safe to delete. The worst thing that can happen is that some programs may not work properly, but you can always reinstall them. As far as I know, it does not harm Windows in any way. Some files inside cannot be deleted because they are currently used by some running program(s). If you want to see increased performance in your machine you may want to consider defragmenting your hard disk on a regular basis, and maybe stop some programs from loading during startup (this can be done by Start>Run> and type in "msconfig' without the brackets. Look under the "Startup" tab, and uncheck any boxes you know are of no use in your machine). And as xcks has mentioned, it is a good idea to empty the IE Temp folder on a regular basis as well, as there are many files (especially some spyware) that you don't want to have in your machine. Hope this helps, good luck!!

BL

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.