Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Home to Pro

by fellmann / March 17, 2005 10:41 PM PST

My Computer is running with Windows XP Home Edition. Now I got a original Windows XP Professional Version (legal). Is it possible to upgrade without new installation?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Home to Pro
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Home to Pro
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes and ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 17, 2005 10:55 PM PST
In reply to: Windows XP Home to Pro

Why the (legal) notation? The only (legal) version is the one that is yours and the best one comes in the retail package. It would be foolish to try to skirt this license or try to use a (legal) version that came bundled with some other machine.

Are you ready for total data loss?

Collapse -
Windows XP Home to Pro
by John.Wilkinson / March 18, 2005 4:55 AM PST
In reply to: Windows XP Home to Pro

When you insert the disk and restart, there will be an option that allows you to simply upgrade, and not overwrite all of your current files. Just be sure to have a backup of all of you files/programs first, as this process isn't foolproof.

When I first tried to upgrade, I was prompted to restart half way through to complete the installation. Once it restarted, it malfunctioned and entered a continuous loop of attempting to install the same files. After a few hours of hoping it would correct itself, I had to pull the plug, and start perform a fresh/full installation of XP Pro, which wiped out all of my files...glad I had a backup!

Good luck and enjoy the added functionality,

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?