Alert

windows XP home OS update furree drivers

JOKINGLY/HA, HA

did try to downlad from supposedly(advertised as free) everything that was needed to regenerate my 10yr old laptop and get going. you see that eerytime in the past wanted to download something of the internet was getting an error message:runtime error. figuring it was due to the age o' this compaq. only to my dismay finnings indicate after taking ~4hrs to install and get it up the website won't allow me to initiate any driver updates because they want me to register the product. w/o going there have an idea they want me to purchase it!

any one need to find out from my withering experience who the party was just ask.
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: windows XP home OS update furree drivers
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: windows XP home OS update furree drivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
No driver updates are required.

So that's not the issue.

If you can forget drivers and such for a moment, can you reveal what issue you are trying to fix?
Bob

- Collapse -
re:any one need to find out from my withering experience who

am interested then ok?
mighty fine.
want my laptop to be more user-friendly by utilizing available add-ons.please refer back to the initial posting before.

- Collapse -
Then we can't do that.

The basic Windows XP is the same as it was 10 years ago. I can't write it's been made any better with add ons.
Bob

- Collapse -
Let's see here...

Don't write in riddles here, "furee"???. If you had a problem before any driver issues, then state specially what that was. XP is long settled into whatever its going to be and no other s/w will improve upon other maybe its look or feel. The pgms. or apps. have to be XP capable, so again I just want to know what you're trying to do. Alas, Compaq should supply all of what you need, just eneter the info or allow them to scan your system to provide that service. A 10yr. laptop maybe pushing it, but Compaq offers drivers quite readily once product ID is correct.

If this driver problem was due to allowing it to update drivers, toss those out, they usually always ask for $ in order to finish or do a 100% job. Any real driver update can be done manually going to device/item maker's support website and getting the required update. So, if you've installed some 3rd party update pgm., un-install it using the add/delete feature of XP or use the pgm's own un-install app.

Now if you were trying to clean-up your old XP of settinjg or registry type items, use CCleaner. Use it at it's defaults, don't do ANY advanced features(leave it alone) and accept it as is. Provided you have a working XP PC, then run CCleaner after install. I recomend this pgm., but refrain of mentioning any similar or their results. Hope that helps or was what you wanted. BTW, CCleaner does have the add/delete s/w feature which refers to XP own add/delete option.

tada -----Willy Happy

CNET Forums