Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Home on Windows 2000 Laptop?

by cshs_xc_runner / March 21, 2009 10:45 AM PDT

I have a Dell Laptop that is certified for Windows 2000. I have an Windows XP Home Edition disc. I put it in, started the laptop, wiped the partition clean, did a "quick" NTFS setup and it setup the files and made me restart. After restart I got the Windows XP Home Edition screen, like my desktop does when it boots up, but then it went to the Windows Xp installation again. It was just a little blue box in the middle. Ive tried this like four times and can not get it to work. Please help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Home on Windows 2000 Laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Home on Windows 2000 Laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Please complete your post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 12:39 PM PDT

What dell?
What XP CD?

Tell all the details.
Bob

Collapse -
Completed Post
by cshs_xc_runner / March 21, 2009 10:55 PM PDT

The Dell is a:

Dell Latitude C800
512MB of RAM
20 GB Hard Drive
Pentenium III Processor at 850MHz
Video-ATI M4
Video Memory-32 MB
BIOS Version- A17

It's an older laptop.

I think the problem is that I'm using an XP disc that came with my old Gateway. I've tried to of them. One of them says Version 1.0 and the other one says Version 1.1. I've tried both and I always end up at the same problem. But I have an actual Windows XP Disc. The one with the like holographic design on the front and it has the valadation number. The two Gateway discs don't. So I'm going to try the real XP disc.

Collapse -
That should run XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2009 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Completed Post

And those OEM disks from other machines usually fail (hard.)

Just one thing. Be sure to hit Dell.com with the service tag from the machine for drivers. Some try to avoid that and spend an eternity looking for XP drivers. We can do this hard or easy (your choice.)

If you can boot those XP CDs and no other hardware issues then it's a good move.

-> Don't upgrade the ram on this machine. I have many XP machines in the office with 512MB and it's fine.

The hard disk is likely to be a slug. Shop for some 40GB at 5400RPM if you need to drop the boot time.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?