Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Home, missing many things from the system...

by Gakada / May 6, 2004 2:28 AM PDT

Windows XP Home Edition, most critical updates, Nav, Adaware 6.181, Spybot SD 1.2, Spywareblaster 3.1, on ACER Ferrari 3000 Laptop.

1. Start, All Programs .... EMPTY
2. In Windows Explorer, No Recycle Bin (not on desktop either)
3. In Windows Explorer, Tools, Options, View ... BLANK
4. In Control Panel, Performance and Maintenance, found only > See Basic Information... and Adjust Visual Effect.
5. Below it (#4), only show Power Options and System
6. Try System restore.. Error message 'System restore unable to protect ....'

Probably more things that I didn't discover..

The above issues applied on any account... including in Safe Mode.

How can I repair this?
I would like to try to repair it if possible...

Thank You

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Home, missing many things from the system...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Home, missing many things from the system...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Gakada, be honest. What unsafe computing are you doing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2004 3:00 AM PDT

Your posts are far too many to be a result of everyday PC usage. I'm calling you on this one since something you are doing is UNSAFE.

Until you stop this behaviour, it won't matter if we fix this issue, your PC will just crash again and again.

Tell your story.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, like I explain to you a few month back...
by Gakada / May 6, 2004 12:40 PM PDT

Many of my friends and family asking me for help...

as you can see, the result is many different and maybe unrelated question from one message to another.

The problems and questions I've posted here is the problem I found on their PC's, which I can not control what and how they used their PC's..

Sometimes I just give up and reformat their PC's.. sometimes I tried to fix it .. by the help and information from this forum...

Please apologized if I post too many questions... but please don't stop helping me.

regards,

Collapse -
Re:Bob, like I explain to you a few month back...
by glb613 / May 6, 2004 8:18 PM PDT

I'd suggest your friends and family get a easy to follow resource book about the proper way to use a computer. The "Dummy" series is good for beginners.

Collapse -
Then this is what I suggest.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2004 10:49 PM PDT

You start with what I've done. I have a tri-fold handout with the title being...

"The Anti-Parasite Suite"

By (yours truly)

It's my first offering to such people.

In closing, by you posting such issues under your name, I eventually build up a pile of "chits" in your name and start to think that you have an undelying issue that is creating all these pleas.

And as I can see, I'm almost right. YOU need to have these people sign up to CNET and start learning about how to find self-help. YOU need to consider taking this to the streets and carry your own "How to" paper so they can do their own self-help.

Having all these problems in your name creates an iilusion that you are the cause.

Right or wrong, that's the illusion,

I wish you the best in your efforts,

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, I solved the problem...
by Gakada / May 7, 2004 2:39 AM PDT

by reformatting and reinstalling everything.. plus a few utility that hopefully can protect the laptop from virus, adware/spyware etc. and telling the owner to check for updates and running the program (Anti virus, Adaware, etc.) on weekly basis, and some Do's and Don'ts..

By the way,
I did asked them to learn a few thing from the internet and reading cnet forum, is one of them.

The problem is many of them using dial up -- which is expensive for their standard --, they only went online for email and a light browsing, not even more than 15 minutes -- because they can't afford to pay the phone bill, if they go too long --
(I know.. light or heavy browsing have same danger)

Other group of people that asking for my help is the Bosses, they only know how to use a computer and don't bother about anything else.. because if something broken, they can ask someone, for example: Me, ... to take care.

the other group of people is the one that want to learn.. this group is willing to fix their own PC's with only a little direction..

I don't mind being seen as a person with too many computer problem, but, that's how I learned things.. by asking anything, anywhere, anytime and to anyone..

Believe it or Not... I don't even have a computer..
--I'm either using one that I try to fix, or going to Internet Cafe..., sometimes using my sister powerbook (which I don't quite familiar with the OS)--

Have a nice week end guys...

Collapse -
Here's why you had to do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 7, 2004 2:52 AM PDT

If you followed the Windows history, there was some offshoot called OS/2. A very interesting feature was that it had an object oriented approach. That is, there was a firm connection from shortcuts to applications. You could delete an application and the shortcuts would vanish as well. Proper...

Today we have a very disconnected mismosh of files that land in directories and that "creates" the menus and even the Control Panel(s). There is nothing here that SFC would fix if I were to empty the menu directories since those are not "system files."

It seems that Microsoft OSes have to take a leap forward (or backward) to solve the issue you encountered.

Bob

Collapse -
Bob, Thank you for the help and information...
by Gakada / May 7, 2004 3:33 AM PDT

you gave me all this time, its help me alot in solving 'my' other PC problems..

Thanks again

Collapse -
Re:Bob, I solved the problem...
by Cursorcowboy / May 8, 2004 2:55 AM PDT
The above issues applied on any account

Bob, I solved the problem by reformatting and reinstalling everything

It wasn't said whether it applied to the Administrative account as well but I'd have to assume the reinstallation simply corrected a problem with accounts which could have been corrupted or nothing more than perhaps some Policies slipped in somehow.
Collapse -
Thank you for the reminder... Bill
by Gakada / May 8, 2004 5:17 AM PDT

As for your question,

'It wasn't said whether it applied to the Administrative account as well but I'd have to assume the reinstallation simply corrected a problem with accounts which could have been corrupted or nothing more than perhaps some Policies slipped in somehow.'

Yes, when I said all account, its Administrator, user with admin level and limited user.

So, I can eliminated corrupted account problem.
As for 'policies', although I didn't look at it, but I'm pretty sure it standard/default policies,

because the owner use Limited account, which afaik, can not change the policies.

The owner doesn't even know the Administrator and User with Admin priviledge password... (and now, after I reformatted and reinstalled, I kept those account password)

Anyway, Thank You for the info

Enjoy your weekend....

Collapse -
Re:Windows XP Home, missing many things from the system...
by sdburr / May 7, 2004 2:23 AM PDT

Try this...

Click "Start", click "Run...", type in "sfc /scannow", click "OK"

This will run the Windows XP system file checker program. Be sure to have your Windows XP CD ready when the program requests it. This will find any corrupted or missing operating system files and install them properly.

Collapse -
sdburr: Thank you for the suggestion, done that, no success..(NT)
by Gakada / May 7, 2004 2:46 AM PDT

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?