Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

windows xp home edition setup boot disks download

by donsbiz / April 25, 2008 6:57 AM PDT

i downloaded the above 4.1 mb file from the download.com site. it says it is for disks. i saved it to my harddrive and tried to load onto disks...nada...wants something bigger than a 1.44m disk. i tried going directly to disk drive A: for the download...same result. My other computer which is having the problem says "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows/system32/config/system. You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup from the original Setup CD ROM
select r from the first menu to start repair" .
The problem is i cannot get the !#$%@#$$%^ cd player to work without the 6 setup disks and i cannot get the setup boot file onto disks. Help please.
don @ donsbiz

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp home edition setup boot disks download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp home edition setup boot disks download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do You Have The Windows XP CD Disc?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 25, 2008 10:17 AM PDT

The 6 XP floppy discs won't make the CD drive work?? What exactly are you seeing..

As long as you've got the XP CD, then you only need to place the XP disc in the CD-ROM drive, then restart the computer.. As long as the CD drive is set to boot FIRST in the BIOS, then XP will load.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
WinXP HomeED Missing or corrupt file
by mlandroche / January 24, 2011 8:26 PM PST

I'm having the same issue. Did Microsoft send out some update to disable what they felt was an "invalid" copy of Microsoft Windows XP? Anyway... It's my boyfriends laptop. I'm using my laptop to locate a "recovery" option since it's been so long since he got his computer, he no longer knows where the recovery disc is. I got the exact same message on the startup...

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\System32\Config\System

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair."

First of all, hitting 'r' returns no results. F2 brings me to a place for changing BIOS settings, but won't allow to update or does not see an image to update. F8 brought me to a lot of different options (all of them bringing me back to my error message). F10 allows you to run a diagnostic (which told me there was nothing wrong).

Do I just need 1 simple little file, or do I need to try to reload my OS? Should I scrap it and go with CentOS or Ubuntu or something? Clearly I'm tech challenged.

Collapse -
It sounds like the CD is not set for first boot
by lacsr / January 24, 2011 8:39 PM PST

Since F2 brings up the BIOS settings, change the boot order to CD=first boot. Save the setting by observing the choice after hitting ESC. Place the WinXP CD in the CD drive. Upon boot up, it should show that setup for Windows is running. You do not get the choice to pick "R" until setup is loaded.

Collapse -
Regarding That Error Message
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 24, 2011 11:08 PM PST

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\Windows\System32\Config\System"

Most find running a repair install with the original Recovery discs gets the job done best and easiest. If you can obtain those discs from the original manufacturer, do so.. If not, then a traditional repair install using a Windows XP disc should also work..

Follow the steps in the link below to run a repair install with the XP disc.. You'll note you do NOT press the "R" at the first opportunity to do so. (Doing so takes you to the "Recovery Console" and that's not really what you want.) Instead, you'll need to proceed through a couple of screens first, including the license agreement, then press the "R" key which the option presents itself.:

http://www.windowsxphome.windowsreinstall.com/installxpcdrepair/indexfullpage.htm

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!