Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Home Edition. Regular Vs OEM.

Hi all

I purchased a base unit from an small independent retailer in my local high street and it transpires that the Windows Validation tool identifies the Operating Software as not genuine. I have complained to the retailer, but without success, so will now report him as peddling pirate software.

In the meantime, I want to purchase a genuine copy. I note that there appears to be two varities: "regular" and something called "OEM". The latter is about half the price of the former.

Before I buy a OEM version, is there any difference compared to the other version (that costs treble the amount)?

Apologies for such a Newbie question. No doubt I can find an answer hidden in a forum somewhere, but I can't see where.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Home Edition. Regular Vs OEM.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Home Edition. Regular Vs OEM.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: Windows XP Home Edition. Regular Vs OEM.

In reply to: Windows XP Home Edition. Regular Vs OEM.

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) software including Operating Systems [legally] can be sold only with a fully assembled computer. It usually includes some applications such as MS Word, Office, Publishing and fax. And usually includes a 1 year term of tech/customer service and warranty.

Also it usually includes Trial software such as NAV, Mcafee as well as adds for other products and services. These OEM OS's are so good that for most users it may actually be better or more cost effective to just purchase a new computer when it's time for a new OS.

Besides this, I figure the real difference is price.

More from the horses mouth at Microsoft Small Business Community Blog

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Collapse -
OEM is fine. . .

Collapse -
Thanks !

In reply to: OEM is fine. . .

Thank you both for taking the time and the trouble to reply to my post. Much appreciated.

In summary, Windows XP Home Edition purchased seperately (rather than as per-installed on a new PC) as a OEM version, is potentially 66% cheaper, might come with added additional software (bonus!) and yet works just as good as the regular version. Sounds almost too good to be true.

I presume that once installed, it'll ask for a Product Code / Key that will hopefully be recognised by the Validation tool from the Microsoft update site?

Kind Regards

Collapse -
Yep, you can save a lot of money. . .

In reply to: Thanks !

It'll install like a full retail version and the key will come with the disk. Install and activate.

Collapse -
Warm in the Summer - your so lucky

Wow I live in the UK it's never warm here! My tip however for leaving a camera in the car is:
a) Get a big dog!
2) Check your insurance.
3) Keep your camera contained within Polysterene this should keep the temperature regulated
4) The other option of course is to buy another camera to keep in the house thereby negatting any reason to take the camera indoors>

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.