Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Home Addition. Please H E L P ! ! !

My first question is pertaining to transferring files, not so much folders. I need some help with transferring files to disk. I?d like to just transfer the latest enquiries added to my files without transferring the whole file each time.

Second question, is pertaining to a terrible loss my husband and I had last month. Our Maxtor hard drive crashed and we lost everything I had inputted in the past three months, all our wedding pictures and info were on that hard drive. Maxtor is being good about replacing the HD but that?s not what concerns me!

What concerns me is all those precious photos and wedding info we may never get back off that hard drive. My husband is computer knowledgeable and tried what he could, when he booted up the hard drive and went into properties, it shows nothing on the drive, we tried the advice of putting the HD in the freezer, that didn't help!

Words alone could not explain the pain of losing the info in that drive and I can?t tell you how greatly it would be appreciated on any you could possibly offer to either questions posted here.

Thank you and God Bless

Mr. & Mrs. Trujillo

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Home Addition. Please H E L P ! ! !
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Home Addition. Please H E L P ! ! !
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows XP Home Addition. Please H E L P ! ! !

In reply to: Windows XP Home Addition. Please H E L P ! ! !

If you goto www.google.com and put in hard drive recovery there is a list of companies that do what you are looking for.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows XP Home Addition. Please H E L P ! ! !

In reply to: Re:Windows XP Home Addition. Please H E L P ! ! !

You can also go to Best Buy if you have one close by they can take Data off make sure you want to do that they charge by the megabyte they will copy everything it will cost you that will be on most company's that takes Data off of bad drives.

Collapse -

Check with a local computer company and see if they offer a data recovery service. I hope this shows you how important it is to back up your data and store it away from the hard drive.

Collapse -

I need some help with transferring files to disk. I?d like to just transfer the latest enquiries added to my files without transferring the whole file each time.

1. What kind of files are involved in this transfer and to what do you expect it to use?

2. In addition, what is used on your system to create such files?

3. Since you used "enquiries added" rather than files themselves, sound like you're talking about a Backup procedure.
Collapse -

Go to Yahoo and do a search for 'Hard Drive Recovery', you should get at lease 200 hits for good sofware recovery tools for your maxtor hard drive. Also MaxBlaster 1.0 has a good copy tool. If you can do a disk to disk copy you may recover the lost stuff.

Collapse -

The HD crashed...as a matter of interest, what exactly did your husband do to try to recover the data ? Maybe there is a simple procedure that he missed ? Try not to 'abuse' the HD to keep the chances of recovery.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows XP Home Addition. Please H E L P ! ! !

In reply to: Re:Windows XP Home Addition. Please H E L P ! ! !

1. Have you tried cutting and pasting the files
2. I understand that the computer is recognising your hard drive, but is not Showing any content. I have recovered "missing" information by putting the HDD in a computer as a secondary master drive and been able to copy all the information. The drives that I have handled in this way have been formatted and are still working. Best of luck, Bill.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.