Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

WINDOWS XP HELP NEEDED

by gramx5 / November 16, 2005 2:23 PM PST

Recently, I began having problems when I chose to go into standby. Hard drive just shut off. After several tech discussions with Dell, the computer now just shuts down on its own when I leave it unattended for any length of time. Dell asked me to uninstall/reinstall Windows XP. I am trying to avoid this because it is a lot of work to back up all of my files. Does anyone have any suggestions that I could try prior to doing uninstall/reinstall? Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WINDOWS XP HELP NEEDED
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WINDOWS XP HELP NEEDED
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Power Options
by Xiang Xieu Tsieh / November 16, 2005 3:23 PM PST
In reply to: WINDOWS XP HELP NEEDED

First understand the difference between Standby Mode and Hibernate. Standby does not cause the computer to shut down but it does shut down the hard disks, the monitor, and locks the computer. Hibernate allows shutdown after saving memory contents to the hard disk. You can configure your computer to your liking by accessing the power options properties. To navigate there click start, control panel, appearance and themes, display, screensaver tab, and then the power button. You can choose hibernate or standby, define what shuts down and what doesn't, set timers, etc. It's easy, so give it a try.

Collapse -
Windows XP Help
by gramx5 / November 16, 2005 3:37 PM PST
In reply to: Power Options

I followed your instructions. This is what I see...System Standby - 15 min.; system hibernates - Never. Also, under Turn off Hard Drive - never. When I click 'start', then 'turn off computer', I click on standby and drive powers down. I used to be able to hit the space bar when standby worked and computer came on.

Also, I am now having a problem with the hard drive powering down on its own if I leave the computer on and walk away. Sometimes it is a couple of hours; sometimes 15 minutes..no definite pattern. I am not highly technical but I can follow instructions. This started happening in October. Haven't installed any new programs or changed any settings at all on my own.

Thanks for your tips; if you have any more options, I would be grateful to receive them.

Collapse -
I assume
by Xiang Xieu Tsieh / November 16, 2005 3:50 PM PST
In reply to: Windows XP Help

that you have an anti virus program that you run regularly. Also are you using anything to detect spyware? Computers can also behave strangely after about 4 or 5 years due to failing battery.

Collapse -
WINDOWS XP HELP
by gramx5 / November 16, 2005 3:57 PM PST
In reply to: I assume

I am running up-to-date Norton Antivirus. I am also using Microsoft Anti-Spywae (Beta). I run regular scans also of Housecalls (Trend-Micro) and also Panda Free Scans. I have a Dell 4600 purchased in December 2003 (new). Thanks.

Collapse -
How does it behave if
by Xiang Xieu Tsieh / November 16, 2005 4:03 PM PST
In reply to: WINDOWS XP HELP

you choose the never option on everything. Never turn off Monitor, Hard disks, never standby and never hybernate. Many computers function poorly with these features enabled.

Collapse -
WINDOWS XP HELP
by gramx5 / November 16, 2005 4:12 PM PST
In reply to: How does it behave if

I have changed everything to "never"...will let you know what happens. But, should I still not be able to manually put it in standby without it shutting down? Do you think there is a software problem in XP somewhere on my computer? Thanks.

Collapse -
I agree with
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 16, 2005 8:16 PM PST

Xiang Xieu Tsieh, (sorry, I am unsure which part of the name is what I would normally call the first name).

Windows has never really managed to control Standby and Hibernate properly, and although some people seem to have no problems, many more, it seems to me, do.

May I ask why you choose standby rather than screen saver or just closing the computer down if it is going to be unused for any length of time?

It's not that the answer is crucial, but I find that when I go to bed at night, it is just as easy for me to shut the computer down completely then start it up again in the morning. And I wonder if your situation is different.

Then during the day the computer is on all the time, but when I am not using it, I just set it to Screen Saver, and I physically turn the monitor off. The screen saver options are set for Never for all options, (turn off monitor, turn off hard disks, system standby), but my Power Scheme is set to ''Always on''. Hibernate is disabled.

Of course, if your computer is a laptop, there may be different considerations, but for a desktop PC, I find this the best way.

Papa Echo and glb have also given good advice.

Mark

Collapse -
WINDOWS XP HELP - THANKS
by gramx5 / November 17, 2005 2:36 PM PST
In reply to: How does it behave if

I did what you suggested - checking off the 'never' boxes. The computer has been on for over 24 hours without shutting down. Thanks again for the suggestion.

To the other POSTS: Thanks for your suggestions. Quite frankly, I never thought about just shutting off the monitor and leaving the hard drive on. Maybe I was thinking I would save $$$ if I put it into standby mode. Fan cleaning suggestion - well, I sure didn't know about that. As far as backing up my files, you are absolutely right on that one. I really need to do that.

Thanks again to all for your assistance; really appreciate it.

Collapse -
Recently ?
by Papa Echo / November 16, 2005 4:24 PM PST

Try system restore to roll back to your sytstem state just before the problem. Have you installed any software or hardware just prior to that problem ? What are are the specifications of your computer - power supply, ram, processor... Have you scan for virues nd parasites ?

Also check for heat and power supply issues. OEM machines usually provide a just-enough power supply-maybe 350W? 400W ? You need at least 450W. And-- two years are enough for the fans to suck in enough dust....

Collapse -
You wrote
by glb613 / November 16, 2005 7:27 PM PST

''Dell asked me to uninstall/reinstall Windows XP. I am trying to avoid this because it is a lot of work to back up all of my files.''

With the problems you are having, don't you think it is wise to save your important files?

Open the case and clean out the dust. Then go to Dell's website, download the diagnostic utility for your machine and run it.

Collapse -
WINDOWS XP HELP
by gramx5 / November 17, 2005 2:32 PM PST
In reply to: You wrote

Thanks for your reply. I am not sure what I should be downloading from Dell (diagnostic tool you mentioned).
Willing to try it though. And, I didn't know I was supposed to clean the fans from time to time. Will have to do that also.

Collapse -
Go to Dell.com,
by glb613 / November 17, 2005 7:12 PM PST

service and support, enter your service tag number, go to downloads and find the diagnostic utility. There will be instructions along with the download. Once you have printed out the instructions, download then run the utility and see what it finds. There are several versions depending on if you have a floppy drive or not.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?