General discussion

Windows XP File Explorer will not display track title, etc

When I open Windows file explorer, for my .mp3 files, I cannot get track title, number, artist, etc. It only displays file name, size, type, date created and date modified. When I right click on the file and select properties, summary, advanced, the information is not there either. This only happened in the last month or so because before I did get this missing track info for the same files on the same disk using the same Windows file explorer.
When I play them on my mp3 player or on Windows Media Player, all of the information is displayed there.
Dell Latitude D420, Windows XP.
Please help!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows XP File Explorer will not display track title, etc
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows XP File Explorer will not display track title, etc
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
You're right.

Out of the box, XP doesn't do that. Or rather Explorer does not do that. Later when we install Windows Media Player it adds that to Explorer.

Registry cleaners, iTunes and more can break this functionality but you are right. This is something (Windows) Explorer does not do out of the box.

It's hard to fault this since it's not assured as a feature in a fresh install.

Let's add it back in with a tool. Try AudioShell at http://www.softpointer.com/AudioShell.htm
Bob

- Collapse -
Thank you--One more request

I installed the shell and it works. Thank you!

Now for one more question. How do I modify the title?

- Collapse -
The title.

Sorry there are titles for forum discussions, file titles, movie titles and so on. I'm left to guess (and I often guess badly.)

Maybe some MP3 title? File names are done with explore? ID3 tags can be edited with a (google this) ID3 TAG EDITOR.
Bob

- Collapse -
my "out of the box" XP

right clicking the bar (where it says name-size-modified-etc)
opens a menu with all the possibilities you wish

- Collapse -
My out of the box XP

Didn't do this. It's the Retail XP (no SP1) and was a self install. Later with WMP updates and maybe iTunes it began to do this. However with registry cleaners I used back then, it stopped again so I had to add it back again.
Bob

- Collapse -
oops...thanks for the memory jog Bob

i completely forgot that i have a 'slip-streamed' XP+SP2

jonah

- Collapse -
Thanks for the update.

I find this area a little 'treacherous.'

CNET Forums