Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Fax has become FLaky

by jimtalbert / March 4, 2004 9:42 PM PST

After having used the Windows XP fax capability without problems for two years, it recently became flaky. The fax monitor won't open when I try to send a message even though that option is checked. Sometimes the messages go and sometimes they don't. I had one to appear in the sent file that the recipient never received.
I uninstalled and reinstalled it but that didn't help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Fax has become FLaky
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Fax has become FLaky
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows XP Fax has become FLaky
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2004 9:49 PM PST

1. Have your XP CD handy and run...

SFC /SCANNOW

2. Parasite removal programs.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0 notes the five scanning tools and removal tools that are fairly safe. If one does encounter an issue, its always been damage done by the MALWARE. The most common issue being Layered Service Provider replacement which you can use LSPFIX (Hint: use http://www.google.com to find).

The thread has follow on discussions about new links if you don't want to use Google to find an item.

Bob

PS. All the tools are free.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows XP Fax has become FLaky
by jimtalbert / March 7, 2004 9:49 PM PST

Hi, Bob. After pressing "Retry" several hundred times I was able to get the SFC/SCANNOW program to finish. However, it didn't give me any indication of the results. I use SpyBot regularly and the only program it finds that I leave on the hard drive is the security program installed by TurboTax 2002.

Jim

Collapse -
The retry is troubling.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 7, 2004 10:38 PM PST

That is not a good sign.

As to Turbotax... Didn't they offer a fix for that? A note I read once showed it could slow a machine down. This could cause PCI WinModems to have issues and that would roll downhill to XP Fax problems.

As to Spybot. What about the other scans? All done? One of my laments is that I have to use all five to catch the most common pests. And then I move to looking over the Hijackthis log to see if anything else is amiss.

In closing, modems do degrade and cause too much time loss. At 10 bucks, "Tech" carries a spare and knows to swap it early in the process. Some don't like it, but the offer is simple. 100 bucks an hour to keep "shooting" or a 10 buck modem and move on.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Windows XP Fax has become FLaky
by Cursorcowboy / March 7, 2004 10:17 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?