Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows XP fatal exception - will not boot

by fiulot / February 1, 2009 1:51 AM PST

My wife has a 2005 Dell Inspiron 6000 laptop with Windows XP Pro. She started to print a document and the ink level screen popped up, showing that one of the ink cartridges was low; she moved the cursor there, clicked, the paper jammed and the screen went haywire. She fiddled a bit and then shut down.

Since then, when I turn on the laptop the Dell logo appears briefly and then I get a message that begins with ?We apologize for the inconvenience ?. ? and shows several start up options. The first is Start in Safe Mode and the last starts Windows automatically in 30 seconds. If I do nothing, thereby choosing the latter, in 30 seconds I get the blue screen:

A problem has been detected and ?.

Technical Information:
*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x6A371878, 0x00000005, 0x00000001, 0xF838DEO3)
*** atapi.sys - Address F838DEO3 base at F838B000, datestamp 41107b4d

If I turn the computer off, turn it back on, and press F8, I get the Windows Advanced Options Menu with the several start up options. The first option is ?Safe Mode?. If I click on that ? or on any of the other options ? I get the blue screen again with the same message shown above.

Note that data recovery is not a problem: I have an outside hard drive that backs all the data daily.

I would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you!

Louis

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP fatal exception - will not boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP fatal exception - will not boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
that is a 0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 1, 2009 4:46 AM PST

error and is normally caused either by bad RAM (use memtest86 to check your ram) or by a race condition that occurs in the ACPI power management code.

If the same address is shown each time for atapi.sys I would bet on it being the RAM.

Most of the "fixes" offered involve updating to the latest or re-installing the latest Service Pack and if that is not possible because the computer just won't boot into Windows then you are left with attempting a repair installation (if your install CD is at the same Service Pack level as what is currently on your computer) or by wiping and re-installing.

A sample of some of the fixes can be found at this link http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm then locate and click on D1: Driver IRQL... in the menu down the right side of the page.

Collapse -
Windows XP fatal exception - will not boot
by fiulot / February 1, 2009 6:23 AM PST

Thanks!

Thanks!
The Dell reinstallation CD comes with SP2. My wife does not recall whether she downloaded SP3. Supposing she did not and I run the Dell reinstallation CD, will I lose all other software installed? If yes, do I have any other alternatives besides wiping the hard drive & starting over? If she did install SP3 and I run the Dell reinstallation CD, will this make things worse, such as making it more difficult to wipe? Will appreciate your comments.

Louis

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.