Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows XP Crashes when using Windows media player!!

by jackx--2008 / October 30, 2003 2:04 PM PST

I have Windows XP
McAfee Virus Scan 2004 Ver. 8
McAfee Firewall
Registry Mechanic
Spybot search & destroy
Windows Washer 5
Spyware Blaster

I have ran all those programs, and none of them has found anything for my problem......

I am using Windows Media Player 9 Series..... the newest version....it seems to crash when I play music. The thing is it doesnt crash every single time, sometimes you can play 10 songs straight and it wont crash, other times you wont get through 2....

The Error Report that is made once you reboot your computer says

Error Signature:
BCCode : a BCP1 : 0A110054 BCP2 : 00000002 BCP3 : 00000001
BCP4 : 804FB00C OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 1_0 Product : 768_1

and the technical information about the error is as follows

C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini103103-01.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\MUSICC~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER4.tmp.dir00\sysdata.xml

I cant do a restore because its been going on for months, so theres no restore that will take me back to when the system was fine. I dont want to use another software to play music as I have other players as it is. I want to fix the problem..

Any people know whats up??

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Crashes when using Windows media player!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Crashes when using Windows media player!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Windows XP Crashes when using Windows media player!!
by Yew / October 30, 2003 8:52 PM PST

First of all, Windows Media Player sucks, you're better off without it working. Download WinAmp 2.9x (not 3.x unless you want a very slow and bloated player) for music and I'm a huge fan of Media Player Classic ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/guliverkli/ ) as a video player. It's small, fast and free. Plus you can get it to play QuickTime, DVDs and Real Media files if you install the right codecs which Windows Media Player cannot, all on top of any other codec you have installed. It's one of the only other players I know of that can play MS's ASF format files. BSPlayer (http://www.bsplayer.org/) is a good alternative, but I'm not sure if it can handle QuickTime and Real Media.

Collapse -
by David Chan / October 30, 2003 9:17 PM PST
Collapse -
Also check this WMP mini FAQ site...
by David Chan / October 30, 2003 9:22 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:Windows XP Crashes when using Windows media player!!
by jackx--2008 / November 2, 2003 3:18 PM PST

thanks for the suggestions, will try them out, hopefully they work........

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Windows XP Crashes when using Windows media player!!
by jackx--2008 / November 5, 2003 12:03 PM PST

Anybody else have any suggestions? It is still happening. I tried everything that was already suggested and nothing......... i deleted re-installed windows media player and still it crashes.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Windows XP Crashes when using Windows media player!!
by David Chan / November 5, 2003 10:03 PM PST

I noticed that you have SpyBot S&D.
If I recall correctly during scanning SpyBot will list several items relating to WMP as spyware.
Perhaps you've deleted these entries causing WMP to misbehave?

See if you have a backup of these entries and restore them.

Or try System Restore back to when it worked.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / November 5, 2003 10:03 PM PST

1. Can I assume that when you use the word crash, you're speaking reboots?

2. ARMED with the STOP code information (Click to see an example screenshot), go to Microsoft Help and Support and search for known issues. Enter the STOP code (Example: Stop 0x00000074 -- leaving off the colon after the word "stop" and only the next ten alphanumerical characters) in the search box at the top left. Either press Enter or click the GO button. Please note that the information recorded for an Event Example: Error code 00000050 (parameter1 82dcc596, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 805208c1, parameter4 00000000) is nothing more than a "stop".. Exceptions for Events, similar to c00000005 may be searched also. Simply enter the exception code as displayed on the popup window and then press Enter. However, you may find that the error you're using may not be found if no articles have been written. Please read the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) article, "How to Gather Information After a Memory Dump in Windows XP (Q314084)" and note the item BugCheckCode which is in essence, a "STOP" error.

Collapse -
Two thoughts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2003 10:51 PM PST

1. I can create files that crash WMP.

On some machines, this also takes down XP. It's not supposed to, but I find that audio and video drivers seem to be crashing and that could be why it takes down XP.

I don't know if Microsoft can harder WMP to handle "my bad" encodings, but since it is a crash, there is a suspicion that by crashing, there is a way to exploit a machine on the way down.

What can I do to the machine that bombs out?

a. I try latest drivers for audio, video, motherboard, etc. Windows Update and the Driver Update button are not used.

b. Don't do that. In my case, I know which files bomb WMP. So I've moved those to another directory. Too bad I my new HP 812 camera creates them all the time?

2. Heat.

WMP is known to be a CPU hog. You may see your CPU and system heat up as WMP runs. To test this issue, I remove the case cover and point a fan at the machine internals. If this cures it, then you can pester the machine builder to fix it.

In closing, heed the CursorCowboy's post about events and more.

bob

Collapse -
Worth its own response.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2003 10:58 PM PST

McAfee has flubbed so badly over the past few years that I don't consider their products to be much more than rubbish.

I have wished them well and hoped they would recover over time, but on the products they offer the consumers, the issues that I faced with their offering were intensely painful.

Without reservation I'd remove McAfee altogether, install Free AVG (http://www.grisoft.com) and try a Zonealarm or another noted in the Anti-Parasite Suite thread at http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=1313&start=0

From my experiences McAfee needs a wake-up call.

Collapse -
by mpacey / November 6, 2003 6:28 AM PST

First, I would run the on-line scan: Housecall.

I would also download and then scan with Ad-aware on a regular basis.

I use it with Spybot.

One usually finds something that the other doesn't.

As far as AntiVirus And Firewalls, I have found Norton and ZoneAlarm to be the best.

I am not saying that this will resolve your current issue, but for the long term you may want to take another look at McAfee.

Collapse -
I found it
by itsthetooth / March 30, 2010 4:00 PM PDT

After a couple of update attempts I was still stuck.
Mine would run for about 1 or 2 minutes then just close.
I would get the box asking me if I wanted to report the error.
I had this problem several times in the past and was so stuck with it I reinstalled windows.
Later I would get this offer to updated my windows player and was fine untill I accepted it, and each and every time it would close after taking the update.
I had this suspicion that Microsoft coded the player to close if you have non copyright compliant peer to peer software like Lime Wire or Frost wire.
Sure enough, I removed Frost wire and as I'm typing this, have been using my media player for well over 25 minutes with no problems.
I have no proof if this is Microsoft that did this or the peer to peer software or if its just an incompatibility issue.
I have xp, and WMP version 11.

Collapse -
re:
by rainbow806 / March 30, 2010 5:24 PM PDT
In reply to: I found it

I think the simplest solution is that reinstall the system.

Collapse -
Same problem
by stevenson28 / March 30, 2010 9:52 PM PDT

Hey ya, me too have the same problem, i dont know why this happen and the same error code is displayed on my computer screen also.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.