Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp continually reboots

by scooter5606 / July 27, 2008 5:09 AM PDT

Windows xp continually reboots - by using my restore disks I can see files & directories on C. At this point - when I cannot access any window applications - can I connect to another computer to copy my data to it or copy data to cd? What is best way to do this?

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
What prompted this
by Jimmy Greystone / July 27, 2008 5:25 AM PDT

What prompted this change in behavior? As in, what was the last thing you did before this all started? And please do think long and hard before saying nothing, because things like this don't generally just happen.

Collapse -
Re: recovering data
by Kees Bakker / July 27, 2008 5:37 AM PDT

People who don't backup must save there files when something like this happens. People who do backup only must save some files they forgot.

The easy ways:
1. Put the disk in an external enclosure, take that to another PC, take ownershop of the needed files and do with them whatever you like.
2. Boot from a Linux CD in stead of a broken Windows and burn the data to CD.

Your choice.

Kees

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!