Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp cannot shut down computer

by John Clifton / April 12, 2008 1:44 AM PDT

I have windows xp home edition oem version on compaq presario desk top with sp 2. When I try to shut down and it gets to the "windows is shutting down" it just stays there until I turn computer off with switch. I only use that computer occasionally as a back-up but would really like to fix it. The bios was last updated in 2004 and the power settings of bios are set to default so I believe it is a windows problem. The computer is loaded with pre-installed junk software from a recent restore using the restore cd. I am also open for suggestions on how to uninstall all the junk without causing other problems with the oem windows xp. The computer has 2.8 celeron and 500 mb memory. I would greatly appreciate any help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp cannot shut down computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp cannot shut down computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dealing the junk.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 1:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
xp shut down problem
by John Clifton / April 12, 2008 8:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Dealing the junk.

Thanks to dealing the junk. I did try both your ideas, The decrapifier did not not help and I a had allread read the other stuff and so re-read and tried again. I hope someone has other ideas. Maybe something is wrong with registry

Collapse -
Then the second half.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 12, 2008 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: xp shut down problem

Tell me about your search for drivers for the motherboard and other parts. A link will do so I can check your work.
Bob

Collapse -
windows xp shut down
by John Clifton / April 16, 2008 8:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Then the second half.

Thanks Bob, I tried many things to prevent xp from hanging in the "windows is shutting down screen. Nothing helped until I disabled Norton Goback and cleared it's history. Apparently, there is a conflict between goback and sp 2 or some part of xp which would prevent xp from shutting dow in the normal way (as mentioned earlier in the thread. If any one is interested, I can go into more detail. Also if someone allready has prior experience with this windows/goback conflict and knows of a patch or remedy other than disabeling Norton Goback I would like to hear about it. Goback has helped me a lot in the past and I would like to go back to GoBack. It is a simple clck to re-inable it from Systemworks Premie, but each time I try the shut down problem comes back. I wonder why windows doesn't like GoBack. No more silly questions except maybe one. I have another problem now with xp on the same computer which started a little after I fixed the shutdown problem. Should I start another thread for that issue? Two shortcuts to strange programs have squated themselves on my desktop and try to take over when I try to delete them. They start trying to install them-selves. I still have to shut down manually to prevent the installation because when I click on start button my desktop goes wierd like a haunted house.

Collapse -
What ARE the Two Programs Names &...
by tobeach / April 17, 2008 5:21 PM PDT
In reply to: windows xp shut down

publisher (if available) ? Where are they located (Path if available).Knowing this may give more specific suggestions. Could be Rogue Programs. Happy

Collapse -
Answer to "what are the two programs?"
by John Clifton / April 17, 2008 10:50 PM PDT

The shortcuts on desktop are iTunes and QuickTime Player. I can't get past the desktop or use that computer. I did search on this computer and found nothing bad about these uninvited guests and that they are published by apple. Thanks for any ideas.

Collapse -
Re: Quicktime and iTunes
by Kees Bakker / April 17, 2008 10:57 PM PDT

If you don't need them, why not uninstall them via Control Panel>Add/Remove?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer to Kees
by John Clifton / April 17, 2008 11:31 PM PDT

please read my previous reply posts. I can't get into control panel or out of the desktop. When I open start menu wierd things start to happen. Thanks

Collapse -
Re: iTunes
by Kees Bakker / April 19, 2008 7:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer to Kees

I must admit I hadn't made a thorough study of your previous post.

But I'm rather sure your troubles have nothing to do with these two programs. Weird things like you describe mostly are cause by malware. Generally, if you can't remove that, even in Safe Mode, and you can't use System Restore to go back to when it still worked, you can try a repair install of Windows XP, but most often a full clean install is necessary.

Kees

Collapse -
OK, They're Known Items Hopefully Legit...
by tobeach / April 18, 2008 2:45 PM PDT

from Apple (sometimes legit programs are messed with by a 3rd party to install malware. Good reason to always get from authors site directly).I suspect these programs are always trying to stay connected.

Very weird indeed! Can you boot straight to safe mode from OFF by starting & pressing F8 key repeatedly or by just holding down the control (CTRL) key at boot ?? Normally, Safe Mode Doesn't load these programs at boot up. If you CAN start in Safe Mode I would try opening control panel and un-installing from add/delete programs. Thy would not be able to be un-installed if they were running. Hopefully they wouldn't be now. Ignore changed visuals as they return to normal when booted back to normal.

It's highly unfortunate that you can't add any programs because of being frozen in normal mode. Otherwise Move on Boot would probably help.

I don't know anything about the BootCamp program (designed to allow MAC & PC to talk freely). Don't know if it only is applied to the Macs or to both. I wonder if it's activated very early during boot? Wonder if you even have it? Just sounds like an early item....Hmmmm.

Try for safe mode please & report success or failure & any messages (exactly) to us. Good Luck! I'll freely admit I'm stumped but I'm no expert..... Grin

Collapse -
uninstaller software
by c19002000 / April 12, 2008 3:43 AM PDT

try to use a uninstaller software(can fing out from google) rather than Xp windows add/remove
they will clean ur programs without affecting others!

Collapse -
xp shut down problem exists
by John Clifton / April 12, 2008 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: uninstaller software

The decrapifier program is I think a remover program and I did try that but did not help the shut-down problem. Thanks

Collapse -
I had a problem a while back
by PudgyOne / April 18, 2008 6:47 PM PDT

and it was from installing a driver. I think it was the wrong wireless LAN driver.

Did you install anything prior to when this problem started?

Can you try just logging out. My problem wasn't with shutdown, it was haning with logout. If I was able to logout, the computer shutdown.

Rick

Collapse -
temporary resolution to unwanted desktop squatter & shutdown
by John Clifton / April 18, 2008 11:59 PM PDT

Thanks to all of You. For now I have to be satisfied. I can now shut down windows in the normal way and the legit but unwanted squatter programs on desktop are behaving. When I re-enable the Norton GoBack feature of Symantec SystemWorks Premier, the shut-down problem comes back so I keep GoBack disabled along with it's partition on the hard drive.

The other wierd desktop activity stopped when I went from Internet Explorer 7 back to IE 6. About the same time I also allowed those unwanted programs to completely install themselves. I need the back-up computer but don't have time right now to do a more permanent repair. I really need the added security of GoBack and will have more time later to try and resolve that issue permanently. Thanks to to all of you for your help and ideas John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!