HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP can?t read a NAF file? Help needed

by grexter / October 9, 2007 10:03 AM PDT

Hi guys,

I?m trying to install a music software on my pc (that doesn?t have internet connection). So first I got an ?AuthorizationRequest? file that I copied on a CD then put it on a internet-connected computer (also xp) then got a ?AuthorizationReturn.naf? file. Then I?m supposed to save it on a CD and bring it back to my music computer to complete the activation process. But when I do that, I get a message asking me with what software should Windows XP open that .naf file? ???

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanx

g

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP can?t read a NAF file? Help needed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP can?t read a NAF file? Help needed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Some advice ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 9, 2007 1:46 PM PDT

How about telling us what software you are trying to install rather than keeping it a deep dark secret? Often knowing the software provides the answer. Usually its installation instructions provide adequate guidance.

The *.naf file might just be a compressed file and if so WinRar will open it.

Collapse -
opening the naf file..
by grexter / October 9, 2007 7:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Some advice ...

the software i'm trying to install is Native Instruments Battery 3 (a drum sampler). in their instructions manual they dont get into that kind of detail (what software to use to open the Naf file) as you go through the steps it just tells you open it it. its my computer (windows xp) that asks me what software to use to open the naf file

thanks

Collapse -
Re: .naf
by Kees Bakker / October 9, 2007 7:41 PM PDT
In reply to: opening the naf file..

Although it could be a compressed file and be opened by winrar (http://filext.com/file-extension/naf) that would probably not help, because the next question would be what program to use to open the file it contains. It's useless, of course, to open such a file with any standard Windows XP application.

So I suppose it must be opened by one of the programs you just installed and are trying to activate. If nothing is to be found in the help file, try all those programs or contact their customer service dept.

It might be easier to connect this PC to Internet for a while.

Kees

Collapse -
naf
by grexter / October 9, 2007 9:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: .naf

thanks for a timely reply

Collapse -
In that case you should ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 10, 2007 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: opening the naf file..
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.