Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows xp backup program

by tahir11 / October 12, 2008 1:04 AM PDT

I tried using windows xp to backup my c: drive and data on d: drive and using DVD disc but xp doesn't recognise it. why I dont know.
Then I purchased Nero 7 to do this operation. I am able to backup my data but not the exact image that is usable when harddrive crashes. And second problem with Nero is it doesn't leave the disk open after writing even some MB of data (or atleast i don't know).Please help.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows xp backup program
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows xp backup program
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What are you trying to do?
by Jimmy Greystone / October 12, 2008 1:28 AM PDT

What are you trying to do? Do you want to just back up your data, or do you want to create a fully functional restore image that would put your system back to the exact state it was in when you made the image?

The former is easy, just copy the important data files to a CD or DVD. The backup program included with XP is a holdover from days long before CD/DVD burners existed, and it hasn't been updated to support such. It's basically floppies or a tape drive for that thing.

If you want the latter, you'll need a program such as Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost.

For what it's worth, I prefer simply backing up important data. I figure if something should prompt a format, it's a good opportunity to learn from my experiences up to that point and maybe do a few things differently from before. Maybe a better folder organization scheme or just not installing some set of programs I rarely use. If I use a disk image, I'm locked into my old system unless I want to go to great effort to revise it. Then I either need to make a new image to reflect this change or be prepared to redo all this work every time I need to restore the image.

Collapse -
Windows BACKUP has no CD or DVD support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2008 1:29 AM PDT

That's definitely a dead end so let's not try that ever again.

If you wanted to make an IMAGE of your system, NERO isn't it either. Did you look at ACRONIS?
Bob

Collapse -
windows xp backup program
by tahir11 / October 12, 2008 1:47 AM PDT

Thanks for the prompt reply from both of you. Yes I am trying to backup c: as well as d: at the same DVD disc and make it bootable so that it can be used when needed. I also suspect that XP doesnot provide such facility and now I come to know that nero also dont.
So what is the exact solution in only one software ? One thing that I also posted in previous post, How to leave DVD disk open after writing data. Yesterday I wrote 28mb of data on DVD through NERO 7 and now XP is telling me "no space left on 4.75GB DVD". what is the solution....
Thanks my seniors.....
Tahir.

Collapse -
"How to leave DVD disk open after writing data."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2008 1:54 AM PDT

Let's be clear that such multisession or PACKET WRITING systems are fraught with issues. I will not entertain such if this is for backup or to be used for restorations or moving files to other PCs. You are free to explore this dead end.

"I am trying to backup c: as well as d: at the same DVD disc and make it bootable so that it can be used when needed."

This is odd. I mentioned a title for you to research and it appears that you didn't catch the title. Here it is again for your research -> ACRONIS.

" Yesterday I wrote 28mb of data on DVD through NERO 7 and now XP is telling me "no space left on 4.75GB DVD". what is the solution. "

Since XP has no native DVD recording support and the packet writing systems are unreliable the only solution is to try Nero's Support at http://www.nero.com/enu/support.html since I know better than to try this.

But let's be very clear that no packet writer can create bootable media. Let me write this clearly -> "No."
Bob

Collapse -
Windows Xp backup
by tahir11 / October 12, 2008 2:09 AM PDT

Thanks BOB for your reply. Nothing is impossible in computer science. So OS bootable image and data at the same DVD is possible. I will find the solution and the software. I couldn't understand "PACKET" type of words,,,could it be a simple answer. Just to tell an option with a simple click in nero 7(if you used it) that allow DVD to open "state" so that in future more data can be added, should be simple. Why to wast our 4.75GB data by just writing some data(28mb),,

Thanks...

Collapse -
Impossible versus what is offered.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2008 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Xp backup

While you are right the issue is simple here. You are looking at common commercial applications. These do not offer the features you are looking for. Maybe some day but wouldn't you want something you can use today?

As to the PACKET WRITING, you can always google words that you find unfamiliar. I had hoped you would get the connection that INCD uses PACKET WRITING technology.
Bob

Collapse -
Also
by Jimmy Greystone / October 12, 2008 2:15 AM PDT

Also, in addition to Bob's post, you can't make a working LiveCD image of Windows on a CD/DVD. Windows is designed to break if such is attempted.

Something like Acronis True Image will make a bootable disc that can be used to restore your system, but you'll never have the convenience of being able to boot from external media that Mac users enjoy. Windows is quite simply designed to make such impossible.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?