Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Backup Problem w/ Flash Drive

by jkadtke / March 5, 2010 3:34 AM PST

Hello -- I'm having a problem with the Windows backup utiliy.

Specifically, I tried using the Windows backup wizard to make a
backup of my C drive ( system) and D drive ( user files), which both
add up to about 24 GB. I bought a 32 GB flash drive to do the
backups. However, when the program backs up about 4 GB, I
get an error that says "tape full, insert new media". I have tried
this several times with different parameters, with the same result
each time (stops after 4 GB). Re-inserting the same flash drive
does nothing.

FYI -- I am running Windows XP Pro on a Sony Vaio laptop, and
using a Kingston flash drive. I have run CHKDSK and other
programs first to make sure there are no disk problems.

Any ideas what's wrong ???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Backup Problem w/ Flash Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Backup Problem w/ Flash Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The problem
by Jimmy Greystone / March 5, 2010 3:41 AM PST

The problem is that the drive is formatted as FAT32, which has a limit of 4GB for any single file. Format it as NTFS and it should work.

And while I'm at it, I'd strongly recommend finding something a bit better than XP's backup program to back up your system.

Collapse -
thx
by jkadtke / March 5, 2010 3:49 AM PST

Jimmy -- thanks for the prompt and useful reply.

This is an old laptop and I don't care too much about
the backup, but what do you suggest that's better than
the XP utility ?

best regards, Jim

Collapse -
Not Jimmy, but
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 5, 2010 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: thx

what I would do is just copy over your personal files and not attempt to copy the Operating System files.

Jimmy is correct about the Flash drive. If it is formatted to Fat32, reformat it to NTFS. You may lose any existing files on there.

The thing about backing up is to back up those important, cannot afford to lose, personal files first, and worry about the rest later. personal files means documents, photos, music, videos, emails, address book, anything that means something to you. If you can make more than one copy, that's better, because with just one backup copy, if the originals get lost, then those copies become the originals, and you are in the same boat.

Windows Backup Utility has never really worked well, and we find that users who have done this, then need to restore the data, come across problems with it. There are dedicated packages for backing up the whole system. like Acronis True Image, but to be honest, if you have the original installation media, the CD's that XP was installed from, then it is often more sure footed to re-install the OS and start again.

Hope that helps.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?