Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp and Norton internet security conflicts

I have a HP pavillion 533w with Norton antivirus, I keep it updated and my windows updated except SP2,I have had this computer about 2 yrs and no problems, lately though when I try to surf at all I can't toggle between differant websites because I get the famous "web page cannot be displayed". As soon as I disable Norton Internet Security,,,everthing works great!I did set my own custom levels for security but I switched back to default and still same Problem.I feel I'm pretty good @ computers I switch Hardware and Software all the time,,,but this has me stumped,,,or just so simple I over looked it. Any Ideas,,Thanks in advance Bill

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp and Norton internet security conflicts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp and Norton internet security conflicts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: windows xp and Norton internet security conflicts

In reply to: windows xp and Norton internet security conflicts

I don't know what version of Norton Internet Security you are using but, I was using 2004 and had nothing but trouble until I got rid of it. There is a strong opinion on this forum - including mine - that Norton just does not cut it. I now us eTrust EZ Armor anti virus & Firewall by Computer Associates and have had no problems with viruses or wormns and it takes very little resources. The choice is yours, but, I would get rid of the Norton.

Richard

Collapse -
Re: windows xp and Norton internet security conflicts

In reply to: Re: windows xp and Norton internet security conflicts

Hello,
This is very weird I have two computors both running XP and Norton, I have had no problems at all.I just reloaded Norton 2003 and updated it, and all is fine.
Jinks

Collapse -
Get rid of Norton firewall. . .

In reply to: windows xp and Norton internet security conflicts

but keep the AV portion. Then install ZoneAlarm free version.

Collapse -
Re: Get rid of Norton firewall. . .

In reply to: Get rid of Norton firewall. . .

While your at it get rid of Norton Antivirus and get the free AVG.

Just my opinion
Richard

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Get rid of Norton firewall. . .

Have used Nortons Anti-Virus in Nortons System Works versions, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 (with SP2) and the only problem I've ever had is with the 'Live Update' when there was a bug in January 04, that Norton fixed by just going to their FAQ site. Also use Zone Alarm, Ad-Aware and SpyBot on my WinXP

I do use AVG along with ZoneAlare, Ad-Aware, and SpyBot on my Win98se and WinMe desktops.

Collapse -

I run all that my puter,,it is clean,,,,My friend that actually writes computer programs told me,,,very first thing,,get rid of the resource hogging Norton,,but keep the Anti virus portion and your problems will be gone,,,Bill

Collapse -

Assume you are talking about the hoging as pertains to your Norton Internet security that you disabled to get your PC running fine. I've never used that progam so can't comment.

Computer programers may not necessarily know much about maintenance/repair of computers...take my Nephew for instance...programmer and IT for a company that pays him six figures and new truck, upscale house to use, big XMas bonus, since they believe he is what made the company from the startup ...does not think Norton's is bad, but he knows only the basics of computer repair/maintenance.

Collapse -
Sorry. . .

I won't trust my system to a FREE AV program. Been using Norton since the late 80s. Zero problems or invasions.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.