Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows XP and assortments of things

by bowling 300 / January 16, 2007 7:12 AM PST

I've been reading the forums for the last 2 hours.I thought i needed a registry cleaner, but now i don't know what i need. I purchased "Registry Patrol" yesterday (heard of it?) Haven't been able to use because i failed to click my way thru to my code! So they say! I've emailed them twice and no response. They said it could take up to 24hours for a new code in which they have 15 mins. left. I wish i had seen cnet before this i might have saved myself aggravation. My problems have been error crashing blue screen, sluggish pc, now freezing. I have Nortons, which i really would like to know why everyone is uninstalling? Adaware personel, avg spyware. I just recently uninstalled spybot. Just would like to get on track. Any advice....I recently took it to a pro service, said there was spyware and a mild virus undetected. seemed quick then went back to previous state. I guess what i'm looking for is could it be the registry? I did notice when i last ran spy bot there were files like "orbit explorer" and"surfside kick" things i've never looked up. Supposingly there a form of spyware. But how do you get it out of the system? or even find it for that matter? Thanks for your time!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows XP and assortments of things
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows XP and assortments of things
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What?
by tubaloth / January 16, 2007 9:08 AM PST

I guess I'm lost at what your problem is. Does your computer boot? Does it freeze during booting or after it is on for a while. Are you able to get on the internet and get to C-net with the computer?

You could have spyware, but the programs you have should be able to get rid of most of it. You let it run and delete any spyware. You might have to run it a couple of times?

Collapse -
RE:What?
by bowling 300 / January 16, 2007 11:39 AM PST
In reply to: What?

Basically its this! I don't feel my computer is as fast as it should be! I get on fine. Get on the internet. I run all my wares, empty cookies, history, and defragment. I see computers "zip" right along and i don't see that with mine. I can be doing something and then i get this "blue screen" and windows needs to shut down...I have comcast which is suppose to be the fastest internet...Like i said i was reading the forums from others on Norton...Why are people uninstalling it? Is it because its not good enough or is it causing problems? Could that be slowing me down? Don't mean to confuse, i'm just frustrated. Now i've purchased a registry cleaner and want to see if that speeds things up. But thanks for responding....

Collapse -
slow computer
by tomron / January 16, 2007 1:05 PM PST
In reply to: RE:What?

Norton uses a lot of resources which can slow down a computer.

Try uninstalling reg patrol and temporary disable norton and see what happens.

I use the free programs,such as CCLEANER,which not only cleans the registry,it also removes cookies,temp files,etc.

I also use other free programs,such as avg antivirus.Click on my username>view full bio to see the programs i use.

Tom

Collapse -
RE:slow computer
by bowling 300 / January 17, 2007 4:22 AM PST
In reply to: slow computer

Thanks Tom for your input. I purchased this Registry Patrol. If i uninstall it can i re-install later? Or should i try to get reimbursed and try ccleaner? Also my internet explorer is "google". Does that tend to cause some slowing down? When i was checking out ccleaners website google was trying to push the products they thought best. If i wasn't paying attention i could have easily clicked the wrong product because they had "download pc cleaner now right next to ccleaner....

Collapse -
slow computer
by tomron / January 17, 2007 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: RE:slow computer
If i uninstall reg patrol,can i re-install later?,I don't know

Or should i try to get reimbursed,I don't know if they will do that,you have to ask them.

Also my internet explorer is "google". Does that tend to cause some slowing down?,I doubt google is slowing you down.IE on the other hand is another issue.I use firefox.

clicked the wrong product because they had "download pc cleaner now right next to ccleaner,I don't understand how that happened,but i would remove pc cleaner.

What you have to determine is what is slowing the computer down.Try process of elimination.Did you disable norton to see if it makes a difference?

Tom
Collapse -
RE:slow computer
by bowling 300 / January 17, 2007 6:26 AM PST
In reply to: slow computer

Disabling Norton does seem to speed things up. If thats the case what is the anti virus of choice? What works that doesn't slow it down? I had Mcaffee before, but it kept asking me to allow or block things that i wasn't sure i needed or not. As far as "PC cleaner" i didn't download that. When i was checking out the "CC cleaner website, google had a list of others to download that i could have mistakinly done thinking i was getting the "CC cleaner. Reading alot of the forums "cc cleaner" seems to be the choice. Tho everyone has something that seems to work for them one way or the other....I really appreciate the feedback....Dave

Collapse -
Go to http://free.grisoft.com
by DarCLew2 / January 17, 2007 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: RE:slow computer

Download AVG Free Antivirus. Darrell L.

Collapse -
Avg virus
by bowling 300 / January 17, 2007 6:45 AM PST

I'm already using Avg anti spyware. The Avg virus is just as good? Ok the "million dollar" question how do i rid Norton completely from my computer. I was reading where people were having problems getting it completely out of there system.

Collapse -
bowling 300
by tomron / January 17, 2007 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: Avg virus

If you are using avg anti virus and norton anti virus that could be your problem.Running more then one anti virus could cause conflicts.You did not mention that you had avg anti virus as well.

If you want to uninstall norton,click HERE

Try disabling avg and see if there are any changes,click HERE for instructions.

Tom

Collapse -
AVG
by bowling 300 / January 17, 2007 7:55 AM PST
In reply to: bowling 300

Tom, i have AVG anti spyware. Is that the same? I did the trial and it ran out. But, i'm able to to still scan. But its not AVG anti virus....Dave

Collapse -
bowling 300
by tomron / January 17, 2007 10:09 AM PST
In reply to: AVG

My mistake,i thought you had avg anti virus.

avg anti virus is not the same as avg anti spyware.

It seems that you had no problems until you downloaded registry patrol,you have to decide if you want to remove what is causing problems.

Tom

Collapse -
RE:
by bowling 300 / January 17, 2007 10:26 AM PST

Thats ok Tom, as we speak i got rid of Registry Patrol and down loaded CC cleaner. Except when i came to reply to you cnet asked for my password and didn't recognize it! Think CC cleaned too good...Lol...Seems quicker. Tomorrow will tackle Norton and try AVG Virus....Is it still covering you after the trial runs out on AVG? or do you have to invest in it?...Thanks for your guidance you and every body thats inputted....Dave

Collapse -
Norton uninstall
by bowling 300 / January 18, 2007 9:53 PM PST

Question? Before uninstalling Norton, do I download the AVG first or after uninstalling Norton?

Collapse -
bowling 300
by tomron / January 19, 2007 11:50 AM PST
In reply to: Norton uninstall

I don't think it would make a difference.I would uninstall norton first in add/remove,use norton tool,run ccleaner,reboot,then install avg.

Tom

Collapse -
Uninstalling Norton
by bowling 300 / January 20, 2007 3:32 AM PST

I asked alot of questions, but i got some great input...Thanks to all that gave support. An update: I now run CCleaner. So far i think its great. My computer really sped up.I uninstalled Norton and added AVG virus....And my computer seems to be motoring along...The only gliches i've seen is a couple of my passwords needed to be reset...Other than that so far so good....

Collapse -
(NT) AVG is a freebie
by tomron / January 17, 2007 10:35 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: CCleaner: You Chose What it is to Clean ....
by tobeach / January 17, 2007 3:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Re:CCleaner how to's
by bowling 300 / January 18, 2007 6:25 AM PST

I'm very gun ho! So when it says to fix i'm figuring its safe. But i keep having problems with my passwords,especially here where its not excepting it...So now i'm asking how do i know what stays and what goes when cleaning? I did notice some things listed that i uninstalled at one time and showed up in the CC list.Just some guidance please to get information about using CCleaner...

Collapse -
ccleaner
by tomron / January 18, 2007 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: Re:CCleaner how to's

Try this LINK,there are three links,quick tour,Frequently Asked Questions,and Discussion Forum.

The quick tour link is very helpful.

Tom

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?