Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP Admin

Hi,

I appreciate any help. Here is my problem. I have only one account on my Windows and it is the administrator account (mine because I'm the only one using the computer). The problem is when I make changes in msconfig, when I click on Apply, I get this message "An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes". I am the administrator and there is no other account than mine!

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP Admin
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP Admin
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When did this. . .

In reply to: Windows XP Admin

start happening?

Collapse -
XP Admin

In reply to: When did this. . .

Well it's been doing this for a while but it's bothering me because I am the administrator and there is not reason I get that message. When I log on windows, I enter my password and everything goes fine.

Collapse -
Well, that is what happened to me

I thought it was strange also but while I got that notice, the changes that were made to msconfig still went into effect after a reboot. Did you proceed with what you were doing or did that notice chase you away?
If someone gives you a definitive answer on this, I would also like to know what the deal is.

Collapse -
Admin

In reply to: Well, that is what happened to me

That's true. The weird thing is that after the reboot, the changes take effect. No problem, if I find the solution, I'll post it on CNET forums.

Have a good one and happy 4th of July to everyone.

Collapse -
mysterio account

In reply to: Admin

are u using xp pro: right click my computer and select manage, then click local users and groups and tell me all the users listed.

if u have xp home:navigate to "c:\documents and settings" and list all the folder names in there including the hidden ones

it could just be a permissions problem, that happens like 90% of time.

Collapse -
Admin account

In reply to: mysterio account

The users listed are:
1- Administrator
2- Backup Operators
3- Guests
4- Network Configuration Operator
5- Power Users
6- Remote Desktop Users
7- Replicator
8- Users
9- HelpServiceGroup

Collapse -
You seem to have too many problems.

Something is amiss with your machine and it's OS install.

Can you tell us why you think you are posting so much for help? Did this OS take some damage from trojans or other things?

Collapse -
Admin

In reply to: You seem to have too many problems.

I don't have any trojans because I ran anti spywares, antiviruses very often, but from other thing, no idea.

Collapse -
So how did your machine get mess up?

In reply to: Admin

There must be something that is causing so many posts by you.

Collapse -
In reply to: So how did your machine get mess up?

What's the problem from asking for help? Isn't that the purpose of forums?

Collapse -
Yes, but finding what's the cause is also...

In reply to: Posts

A very good idea. At this rate you'll not have a PC to use. Something odd must be going on here. Let's try to find it.

Collapse -
Admin XP

In reply to: Yes, but finding what's the cause is also...

Here is the problem. The list on the post 7, is not the list of the Users, but the Groups. The list of the users is Administrator and Guest. That's it. Instead of clicking on Users, I clicked on Groups. That happens.

Collapse -
Just one thing.

In reply to: Admin XP

Groups is usually something we use when we have a DOMAIN or AD "Server." Not something to be bothered with on a Personal Computer.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.