Windows Legacy OS forum

Rant

WINDOWS XP

by andjoha / April 7, 2014 8:01 PM PDT

I am visually impaired. XP allowed me to prescribe fonts type and size and bold type which then applied to drop down menus in all applications of office 2003. I tried to contact MS and request reincorporation of the concept which would spare me the cumbersome irritation of having to utilize the magnifying-option all the time - without success.

I am furiously agitated being forced into a costly upgrade whilst what I have is functioning sufficiently speedy and efficient.

To conclude: The day I am forced to upgrade because XP can no longer fulfill necessary purposes, it will NOT be to a newer version of Windows. I will not be cheated continually.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: WINDOWS XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: WINDOWS XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: XP
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 7, 2014 8:13 PM PDT
In reply to: WINDOWS XP

Not very clear what doesn't work any more:
- specifying the font (font name, size, bold) in a drop down menu in Office 2003 programs running in Windows 7
- specifying the same in Office 2007/2010/2013 running in Windows 7
- specifiying the same for ANY program running in Windows 7

And can you give an example of such a drop down menu?

Kees

Collapse -
And ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 7, 2014 8:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: XP

- can you tell HOW you changed those settings in Office 2003 under Windows XP
- what "costly update" exactly are you objecting against
- why you feel "cheated"

Kees

Collapse -
This feature is still present
by Jimmy Greystone / April 7, 2014 11:21 PM PDT

This feature is still present in later versions of Windows. There are, for example, high contrast "themes" for Windows and pretty sure starting with Vista there was a standard feature of a screen reader. You can even still switch off Aero and make the same changes to menus you described (may even work without disabling Aero, never tried myself). You can also increase the scale of what you see on the screen so it's a bit larger in general.

Office, of course, has always been kind of a different story. Microsoft routinely uses Office as a means of testing new UI concepts. Office 2000 introduced flat menus which were all the rage for a time, then they went back to a kind of understated 3D, now I guess with Windows 8 flat is in again. So, whether or not Office will ever honor OS level settings for visually impaired people is basically a crapshoot. Always has been, probably always will be. Of course newer versions of Office, with the ribbon UI, don't really use menus, so could very well be much more friendly to someone with visual impairment. Instead of tiny little icons littering toolbars across the screen, and menu after menu of option, there are big large buttons and the commands that used to be in an endless array of menus are now arranged in tabs... With big large buttons. In general Microsoft has been trying to get rid of menu bars as much as possible, STARTING with your beloved XP.

So, it kind of seems like you're just looking for an excuse to complain, you just stopped when you couldn't find any specific reference to the particular feature you were looking for. You didn't take the time to discover that maybe the feature was made unnecessary because of a fundamental design change. And of course, whether it's right or wrong aside, visually impaired people make up a very tiny segment of the overall customer base for Windows. That they make any concessions at all is likely only because it's a requirement to get government contracts.

If it is that big of a deal to you, you are free to go create your own operating system designed specifically for visually impaired people. Maybe once you have some appreciation for just how much effort goes into even the tiniest of features, you'll be a little bit slower to complain.

Collapse -
(NT) can you feel the love?
by James Denison / April 8, 2014 1:17 AM PDT
Collapse -
FYI
by andjoha / April 8, 2014 1:55 AM PDT

I had the local technician in and having understood my problem he eventually advised me to return to XP after being unable to become accustomed or come to terms with W7.

Nevertheless thank you for answering.

Collapse -
Then it seems
by Jimmy Greystone / April 8, 2014 9:41 AM PDT
In reply to: FYI

Then it seems you're basically stuck. Either you accept that the world will not adapt to you and you adapt to the world or get left behind by the world.

I'm not trying to sound insensitive or anything, just stating the cold reality of the situation. Based on your own comments, it seems like you are the impediment to using Windows 7 as a replacement for XP. Then again, the skill level of this local technician is an unknown quality and may have been very low. They may not have been aware of things like high contrast themes to Windows or that you can turn off Aero and get the old GDI+ UI back that is exactly the same as used in XP. But your posts do come off as if you're essentially unwilling to make any level of concession and expect Microsoft to cater to you, which isn't going to happen.

Collapse -
Since Vinux is out, it's really free so no cost?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2014 10:22 AM PDT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIvdv9EF1XE covered a recent review.

One of the problems I'm bumping into today is that there is less and less good to great support out there. Well for a price you can get support but folk gotta pay the bills.
Bob
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?