Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows XP

by Vader / November 26, 2004 12:59 PM PST

Bill and his rush the product out to make money attudude. This forum just shows how many problems XP has and that it was not ready for sale. Just look at all 10 pages of the problems he's created for him and his company. When all he had to do was wait til the following year to release XP and fix just 1\4 of the problems. We wouldn't be in this position today. Anyone else think this also?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows XP
by Yew / November 26, 2004 1:12 PM PST
In reply to: Windows XP

I think overall, XP isn't that bad. It's just that Windows has never run well on shoddy hardware, like you find in all name brand systems. Can't really blame MS for that one too much... If the hardware's bad, there's really only so much you can do in the software to deal with that. Windows could maybe handle things a bit better, like Linux does, but shoddy hardware is shoddy hardware. Of course, I have to say, the most trouble I've ever had installing Linux, was on an old Compaq system I had. That was just a nightmare, and then it never really did run quite right. Even my old 486 Packard Bell was a smoother install. Now that Compaq has taken over HP, they've managed to take all the worst aspects of both systems (must have been a tough choice) and combine them to make a whole new level of crap. Even the much vaunted Dell is really only mediocre when it comes to hardware quality.

I build my own systems from parts I select after a bit of research. Windows runs quite well on my system. Virtually all problems are something I screwed up, and the majority of the rest are one time deals. It's one of those cases where if you buy a cheap computer, what you save in terms of cash will be paid for many times over in stress, frustration, and wasted time.

Collapse -
by Ilkster / November 26, 2004 7:50 PM PST
In reply to: Windows XP

I think XP is the best operating system gates has come out with yet. It still has some flaws with it and yes he maybe should have waited. Corporations love the money and stockholders !!

Collapse -
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 26, 2004 8:12 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Windows XP

I agree with what yewanchors says, and Ilksters comments.

As each Windows version has been introduced, they have got better, more stable, and more functionality.

I think we tend to complain about Bill Gates too much. But exactly what has he done? He has produced a graphic user interface that is easy for most people to understand and use, and he has marketed it well. Some people will say that the Apple Mac did it first, and perhaps they did, but first is not always the best.

Bill Gates and his company have made a fortune, and some people feel that that is bad, and distasteful. I'm not sure why. If I was running a business, my purpose would be to make it profitable so I could make money myself.

Some people say that Windows is full of security holes. That is right. But Windows is an OS that is fully adaptable, flexible and accommodating to so many different needs, internet surfing, networking, word processing, image editing, programming, all sorts of "ing's", and that makes it at the same time so useful and so vulnerable. Again people will say that the Mac OS is the same, or Linux is better, or Unix is more secure, or whatever, but Gates has made Windows available to everyone, users, programmers alike at a reasonable cost.

That very availability makes Windows the target of security problems. But remember, Bill Gates didn't produce Windows to be targeted by hackers, virus writers, spies, thieves and the criminally insane. They were going to exploit whatever OS became the "norm".

Think of this, if Mercedes Benz, when he invented the 4 stroke petrol engine was still alive today, would he be blamed for all the car thieves, road rage, car getaway vehicles, road accident victims in the world today? No, he just invented the machine. Other people have mis-used it.

Yes Windows has problems. But if people don't like Windows or Bill Gates, you know what they say, "Use something else. Go somewhere else".

Another thing. Without Windows and Bill Gates, we probably would not have been talking in this forum today.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?