Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp

by Stephen Bean / March 1, 2009 12:03 PM PST

i used AVG i now get message system32/rundll32.exe missing and any time i open an icon on the desktop the "Open With" window pops up??????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I Used AVG To Do What?
by tobeach / March 1, 2009 3:54 PM PST
In reply to: windows xp

Much more info needed. Especially OS & Patch Level & AVG Version & pay or free?
Was it cleaning an infection and after that this started?
Did you try to install AVG & had failure & after trying to un-install AVG this came up?

Had you previous just before AVG had another AV program & did you remove?

Have you tried System Restore to well before this appeared?
Have you tried a System File Check scan/repair?

Help us to help you! Thanks! Happy

Collapse -
System 32\rundll32.exe missing
by jackjr12 / April 18, 2010 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: windows xp

No ans but another poor soul crying out in pain. Dell pc, win xp, sp-3. This pc had about 26 virises which were deleted. It then was able to start-up normally, as before it could only be started in the safe mode. However, now none of the programs work. I was able to download a program but could not install or run it. Each time you click on a program, as stated by the prev member, it gives a box req'ing you to choose the program to open whatever program you are attempting to open. The pc does not recognize the cd drive or the disc in it weather blank or with the restore data on it.

Collapse -
The problem with all those virus is the damage.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 18, 2010 3:04 AM PDT

Not all Windows can be repaired. The usual XP REPAIR INSTALL is one idea but only after you have backed up what you can't lose.

Let's ask the big question. Is what you can't lose safely copied out?
Bob

Collapse -
Re: System 32\rundll32.exe missing
by Tufenuf / April 18, 2010 3:13 AM PDT

jackjr12, Go to the link below and scroll down to line 12 (left column) and click on (you may want to right click and use Save Target As) "EXE (lnk and regfile) Fix for Windows XP
" to download a reg file fix. Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it or right click it and choose "merge" and answer yes to the import prompt.

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

If you can't run the file do the following:

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL and open Task Manager. Once there, click File, then hold down the CTRL key and click New Task (Run). This will open a Command Prompt
window. Enter REGEDIT.exe and press Enter. Once regedit is open click File>Import and locate that reg file fix, hilite it and click Open.

Note: If you can't access the Internet
with the problem computer use another computer to download the reg file fix onto a CD, thumb drive, or floppy and transfer the reg file to the problem computer then run it.

After that .reg file is merged into the registry successfully restart your computer.

Tufenuf

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?