Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows xp/2000 multi-booting.

by ihaveanidea / May 6, 2004 11:54 AM PDT

about a year ago, i built a computer, and installed windows xp pro on it. i recently decided that i would like to set up multi-booting so i could also run windows 2000. i got a second hard drive and a windows 2000 pro disk. when i tried to boot up my computer with it, it did not work. and i also had a windows 95 disk that i have booted with before. so just to see what the problem could be, i tried booting with the 95 disk. it didn't work either. i think it is because i run windows xp on my main hard drive, so it disables booting from any other disk, cuz when i try to boot from the xp disk, it works fine. i checked out some of microsofts help files, and couldn't find anythign. the only thing i found was a description of how to set up multi-booting, and they do say to always install the earlier version first. if there is any way possible to get windows 2000 on my computer without losing xp and the stuff i have on my main disk, that is what i want to do. any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows xp/2000 multi-booting.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows xp/2000 multi-booting.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:windows xp/2000 multi-booting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 6, 2004 12:01 PM PDT

With the supplied Microsoft tools, the only supported method is to install the MS OSes in order from oldest to newest. Since you are trying such in the wrong order, you'll need a third party tool to make this work.

It's possible to solve this with drive trays, some BIOS will support selecting which hard disk to be the boot drive, but in short, you have to write about what direction you want to go.

Often mentioned are Boot Magic (of Partition Magic fame), XOSL and after that it gets pretty sporadic what else is out there.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:windows xp/2000 multi-booting.
by ihaveanidea / May 9, 2004 4:28 AM PDT

my BIOS does support that...so i could try that. lol, this sounds silly, but what would happen if i moved the boot.ini file to my other hard drive and then tried to boot from a win2k disk? i would obivously only do it if i was SURE that it woudl work. because if it worked i could move the file back to its original position, that way id be able to boot either win2k or winxp. if it failed, there would almost definately be no way around a reformat, so i probably shouldn't do that. i just wanted to know if you think that could work.

Collapse -
Your time and effort.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2004 4:46 AM PDT

There is NO current supported method for this. It's all your time and not mine. I just know better than to move NT/2000/XP/2003 and Longhorn.

Could work? Absolutely. But I'd have it up and all reinstalled while you are still fixing the registry.

Bob

Collapse -
by beat100 / May 6, 2004 10:08 PM PDT

I had two systems on my PC, I only have one sytem now but have two bootable hard discs both running XP professional, One for the kids and one for me. The way I do it is to have the kids one as the main boot drive, but when I want to use mine I press F8 during the initial boot stage where it does the memory check. This gives you the choice of which drive you want to boot up onto. It's simple but effective, and in my case stops the kids acsessing my drive as I have it protected, but allows me to check the kids drive.
Hope this simple solution helps.

Collapse -
"Try A Virtual PC"
by nworley / May 11, 2004 12:12 AM PDT

Microsoft just released a Virtual PC 2004 software that they bought off of Connectrix. This software allows you to run many types of operating systems inside a window on another Windows operating system.

In other words, if you wish to run W2000 and W98, and W95, and Dos, and Linux on the same machine, you can install them inside of a window of W2000 and seamless switch between them. They have their own space allocated on your hard drive. You can open and operate as many as you like depending on the amount of memory you have installed.

Microsoft has a 45 day free trial download found at:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/virtualpc/

Their price is suggested at $129 dollars, but you can get it for $119 shipped from Amazon.com

Norm

Collapse -
by David Chan / May 11, 2004 12:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Re:windows xp/2000 multi-booting.
by ihaveanidea / May 11, 2004 11:10 PM PDT

thanks. that should fix my problem.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!