Question

Windows won't start after motherboard install.

So I recently replaced my motherboard and transferred everything else from my PC into a new case. The PC started up fine, loaded for about 10 seconds until it got to he windows load/startup screen. It then crashes to a blue screen and the cycle starts.

I get a message saying how I need the windows installation CD so I can do a startup repair to resolve the problem, although I do not have the CD as I purchased the PC from HP.

I already did a system restore and that did not work. I read online how Windows 7 has some problems with motherboard compatibility issues with motherboard changes. Everything would be ok if I just had a CD handy. I don't want to go and purchases the whole thing of Windows 7 just to recover my PC.

I'll see if I can record a video of exactly what happens and put it on here if more info is needed.

Does anyone have an suggestions on what could be done?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows won't start after motherboard install.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows won't start after motherboard install.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Oh boy...

Two strikes against you, that's HP and new mtrbd.. What that means, if the new mtrbd. wasn't an HP one then expect as Robert offered a "tattoo issue" this is strictly a HP item. Doesn't matter if HP mtrbd. or non-HP the recovery s/w looks for that. Plus, the tattoo is something HP does to control restrictions they impose. If non-HP mtrbd. then the recovery s/w sees a big difference and then Win 7 own restrictions kick-in on top of HP ones, as in ie: OEM version of windoze. If this is a HP supplied or eBay type purchase, you need the tattoo routine done either by HP or authorized repair center. As far as I know tattoo s/w is NOT released to end -users. HP does ell the recovery OS discs and they are for small cost, less than retail versions, provided all is HP h/w. You can check at the HP forums via the HP support website and query there as well.

- Collapse -
Answer
Bad news. Where to start?

CNET Forums