Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

windows won't recognize usb device upon install of drivers

by evarten / July 17, 2006 4:40 AM PDT

I recently purchased a usb multi-slot cardreader/usb hub. Upon atempting to intall the driver, I was at a screen telling me to plug in the device for it to be recognized. I got a balloon pop-up telling me that "Windows does not recognize the device." After that, the insallation tells me that since the device is not recognized, the installation has been terminated. I tried to just plug it in without the driver and I still get the same message from off the icon on the taskbar.
I have used other usb devices and have had no problems so I figured something might be wrong with the device so I took it over to a friends house and he was able to use it without the driver installed. We then brought over his card reader and hooked it up and we got the same message.
I have checked out the usb drivers and all are working properly. everything is working right and cofigured correctly. I have a Gateway model E2300 using WINDOWS XP HOME 2002 w/SP3. I have a speed of 2.66Ghz I have gone thru Microsoft and Gateway support and they both tell me that the device is faulty. If its at fault, then why does it work on my friends computer and his does not work on mine either. And I have other usb devices (webcam, digital camera) that work just fine? Is there some sort of configuration to the roothub that I need to do in order for this device to work? Is it possible that cardreaders won't work for some reason on my computer?
Sorry this is sooo long but I have been almost everywhere to get some help with this problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows won't recognize usb device upon install of drivers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows won't recognize usb device upon install of drivers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More power tim...
by PKsteven / July 17, 2006 4:53 AM PDT

The device in question may not be working due to lack of appropriate power to your usb port. Other devices may not require the same amount so in fact work. Did you try unhooking all other devices and run just the current one? Did you try different ports? I assume it's usb powered and not AC adapter? Do your other devices need USB 2.0? If not, this one probably does.

Paul

Collapse -
My usb troubles
by evarten / July 18, 2006 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: More power tim...

In response to your response, Yes I had all devices unplugged, I checked all 8 of the usb ports, it is usb powered and I do have 2.0 on my comp. I have a digital cam that requires 2.0 and like I said it works fine and the driver installed w/o any hitches or glitches.
Do you have any other guesses as I am at a loss and appreciate any and all help.

Collapse -
Have a 1999 Gateway and got an extender for USB 1.1
by DarCLew2 / July 18, 2006 4:08 AM PDT

When I plugged it in, it lit up and one item could be used on it but two, it wouldn't work at all. That was with a printer (which was off) and a videocam. The extender is gathering dust for a year and, at one point, I thought all 3 USB's were useless. Two are okay but I may have made the 3rd's hole larger than the USB plugin. It may be the computer itself and not your windows. Mine didn't have drivers, so I can't comment on that but as you said your friends computer worked without the drivers so there is only one conclusion - Gateway. I won't doing any business witht them on the internet. All I will say that 4 errors were made in less then 2 months on 2 purchases. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
My Gateway comp
by evarten / July 18, 2006 8:01 AM PDT

I have had no problems to speak of with my Gateway. But, Windows has gone crazy a couple of times. Fixed those probs and now this. When I went to Microsoft about this, the fix they gave me Had me locked out of the Net Login site and when I restarted, Windows froze up and I had to do a system restore to get my computer back online.
Now when I plug my card reader in, it lights up for about 5-10 secs. and then I get the message.
My friend has installed the drivers and it works great for him. As for the usb's I know they are working as he has brought over other usb devices and they worked (2.0 and 1.1). Just since this device have I had any problems.

Collapse -
Check..
by PKsteven / July 18, 2006 5:36 PM PDT
In reply to: My Gateway comp

does your friend have a device similar? Try his\hers and see if your pc accepts it. Some devices don't work well with certain pcs but may work well with others. This can and has happened many times. It may not in fact be your pc, or the device, they may simply not get along well. A good example? I happen to have one, I have a Sony cd burner, worked in my Athlon, worked in my HP but not my Emachines. I could put any other drive in the Emachines and it would take, as well as swapping drives in the other pcs, the Sony simply wouldn't communicate well with the Emachines, believe me, I tried everything, upper\lower filters, drivers the whole shabang.
So I gave it to my wife and it remains in her tower. So now that I have overwritten yet another response with hot air detail, try another device that may be close to yours and see if it works.

Paul

Collapse -
similar device
by evarten / July 19, 2006 5:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Check..

In response, YES. I had also mentioned it in the first message. Sorry if I didn't clarify that. I did receive a private message I am going to try out to see if it works and I'll let you all know what happens. I need to get the card reader back as I gave it to my friend but will get it back to check it. Kind of think this is just a thing with the device and I am not too sure about geting anouther. Don't want to waste any more money, YA KNOW?

Collapse -
You did clarify..
by PKsteven / July 19, 2006 5:39 PM PDT
In reply to: similar device

I just didn't see it. I would suspect a problem with compatability on your pc. Do you run Norton by any chance? If you do, the USB device scan will prevent certain usb types from being fully functional.

Paul

Collapse -
No Norton on my system
by evarten / July 20, 2006 1:09 AM PDT
In reply to: You did clarify..

I used to as it came on the computer but have uninstalled iy and am using Windows Live One Care and Windows Defender Firewall. Not really that hot about Norton OR McAfee for that matter. Had tried McAfee as it was offered free through COMCAST INTERNET but was still having security issues and trojans up the ying-yang. One Care works pretty good for me and have had no issues as of yet.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!