Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Won't Load After Power Failure

I was running McAfee VirusScan this morning when we experienced a brief power interruption of a second or two. The computer went down and upon restart, Windows would not reload. I could only turn off the computer by removing the power cord. After doing so, the computer restarted and Windows reloaded OK.
However, I have experienced intermittent problems with Windows reloading since this event. Windows will reload OK one time but not the next. When it doesn't reload, I am stuck looking at a blank screen. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Windows XP Home
Version 5.1.2600 SP2 Build 2600
Intel Pentium II
256 MB RAM Installed
70 MB RAM Free

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Won't Load After Power Failure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Won't Load After Power Failure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
By Windows not loading

In reply to: Windows Won't Load After Power Failure

please explain what the computer,s actions are. Does the power turn on all the fans run, the LEDS illuminate and the boot screens show, and then when time for windows to install the system hangs?? Really a blank screen or is there a cursor blinking in the corner.

Collapse -
Re: By Windows Not Loading

In reply to: By Windows not loading

The power does indeed turn on, all fans are running, the LEDS are illuminated. However, when it is time for Windows to load the system hangs at a blank screen. There is no cursor blinking in the corner.

Collapse -
Sounds like

In reply to: Re: By Windows Not Loading

That power failure did more damage than you think. There are two ways you can go from here.

1 Can you get into the Safemode setup?

2 If not, is the BIOS detecting your hard drive(s)?

If the answer to 1 is yes, it may be possible to go for a Repair option, if the answer to 2 is no, then you've had something fried.

See if the hard drive will work on another computer, and you could also look at the onboard RAM and CPU in addition to your PSU, also look at the mobo.

In fact, if the answer to 2 is no, then it looks like you are in for serious spending!

Collapse -
NO# 2?

In reply to: Sounds like

I thought he can still load the windows after the "power failure". but it is not as smooth as before: sometimes the windows loads, and sometimes not.

my opinion: it is time for you to get a new computer. if not, then try to repair/install the windows again.

PII is way.......... back in the days.

P

Collapse -
Thanks for the help

In reply to: NO# 2?

Thanks for trying to help me. The BIOS does recognize the hard drive. I shall attempt the repair option this weekend to see if that helps. I realize this is an old computer but it is serving as a backup to my primary computer. I would like to keep it running if possible. Thanks again!!!!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.