Desktops forum

General discussion

Windows won't boot with new board

by acurt / August 23, 2006 12:42 AM PDT

ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe AM2 motherboard, AMD 64 X2 3800+ CPU / 1 stick of 1 gb Corsair pro 800 ddr2 ram / 500 watt Antec PSU .

I have Windows XP home sp2 that is installed on a IDE drive that was running fine on a older Asus A7V 133 system . I have installed the new components and windows won't boot even in safe mode . The system goes through POST fine with standard 1 beep , I can access BIOS and all components and memory are recognized without problems .
My skill level is a novice at these problems , any input would be helpful . Thanks .

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows won't boot with new board
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows won't boot with new board
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Very proper. Something we all wish would just work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2006 1:00 AM PDT

Windows for many versions and years will cease to boot after we change the motherboard.

Look up XP REPAIR INSTALL and see if that fixes it. Remember to install all those motherboard drivers after you get it booting.

Bob

Collapse -
New board not compatible with configured OS
by Byhtomit / August 23, 2006 1:24 AM PDT

The problem lies in that each system board uses a different chipset and subsequently, different IDE controller and hardware logic. The A7V system board uses one of the VIA KX-133 chipset, but the M2N32-SLI uses a NVIDIA nForce

Collapse -
Reinstall
by mike818181 / August 23, 2006 2:22 AM PDT

Thats the only solution! Another reson to use Linux!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?