Desktops forum

General discussion

Windows will not boot up (help appreciated!)

So here's the scenario. I was playing a game last night and when I was finished I exited to the log in screen of the game (in case I wanted to play again soon after I stopped). I started watching a movie with my wife and mid way through realized the fan in my computer still sounded like it was being overused (like I was still playing the game). I went over to the computer to close the game and all other apps but the monitor wouldn't turn on.

I shut down the computer and went to bed. This morning I turned the computer back on and now windows will not boot up and the monitor will not turn on. The PSU fan immediately seems to be working hard and the disk drives open and close just fine. My wireless mouse receiver does not turn on.

Is this a symptom of a failed PSU? I bought a nice power supply about months ago.

Any help would be appreciated!

PS - I opened it up and cleaned the entire computer thoroughly this morning...no improvement.

Thank you!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows will not boot up (help appreciated!)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows will not boot up (help appreciated!)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Try reseting cmos. Pull out power and push the power button

In reply to: Windows will not boot up (help appreciated!)

Collapse -
resetting cmos?

In reply to: Try reseting cmos. Pull out power and push the power button

what is cmos? pull out power and push the power button? You mean pull the power cord and turn the power off and on with the PSU?

Collapse -
Details required

In reply to: Windows will not boot up (help appreciated!)

You provide little if any details of your system, so I ask. At least leave side cover off and boot-up, what are the results. Also, game playing is very demanding of a system and since you already replaced the psu, was there there are problem, prior?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Update and more info

In reply to: Details required

I have an hp a6157c desktop, 2gb ram vista with an 8600gts nvidia video card, and 600W OCZ PSU.

This is what I've done since originally posting.

1. Removed each stick of ram separately and tried to reboot. No success.

2. Switched out my PSU for my old one and had little success. The wireless mouse receiver lit up and functioned with the old PSU and that was not the case with the newer one.

I did both of these with the cover off.

To answer your question about my PSU....there wasn't a problem before hand. I upgraded my video card and needed a bigger supply of power.

Now here's another puzzler. Using the older PSU I had the comp running (again nothing happening on the monitor.) I plugged in my Ipod in the USB port and it synced seemlessly to itunes and updated my podcasts. So apparently the computer is working, there's just nothing happening with the monitor.

Collapse -
Try...

In reply to: Update and more info

Remove every USB device, unplug them all. Try a boot-up, if it makes it, hit the power-ON for several secs. until it powers off. Attach, the mouse if wireless and retry boot-up. Also, verify the video card fan is working and/or reseat it as well if card type. reseat the video cable. You may have a bad video card, if all those things appear to work. If your video card uses a separate power plug, reseat that several times. Some psu may have two video power plugs, try the other if available. Also, try these suggestions, good or bad and come back with results.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
No go...

In reply to: Try...

I tried everything you suggested and it's a no go. with zero usb devices plugged in nothing happened. The video card fan is working...in fact it's in overdrive it seems. It's easily the loudest fan in the computer right from power on. (much louder than normal). I tried multiple power cables to my video card and got the same results.

I tried to reseat the card but couldn't get it out...didn't want to break anything so I didn't overdo it.

thanks for all this help willy!

Collapse -
Some ideas

In reply to: No go...

It appears more like a video problem. Swap the monitor to another system and check results. If that works, then remove video card. The video card should have a hold down screw and maybe a small bracket on the bottom side that holds down the edge, depress or pull it aside to allow card to rise. Other than that, it should easily remove, I exclude any possible cover that maybe hiding the screws as some system do. In the same vein if you have access to an older video card, try it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Addenum

In reply to: Some ideas

I checked the specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01075997&lc=en&cc=us&product=3451988&dlc=en

It has build-in video port. Thus, remove video card after a shutdown. Reboot once removed, does the video return? If it does, suggest bad video card. If still no video, use the CMOS clearing pins to return bios to defaults. Upon next reboot, verify what the bios setting are, re-edit them provided if you have video display. If yes, do whatever to return to past old setting. Then add video card and retry re-installing it or see if works period. Again, if no video at all, either bad video card or weak psu, which does happen. I hope this covers it all.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Addenum

In reply to: Some ideas

I checked the specs:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01075997&lc=en&cc=us&product=3451988&dlc=en

It has build-in video port. Thus, remove video card after a shutdown. Reboot once removed, does the video return? If it does, suggest bad video card. If still no video, use the CMOS clearing pins to return bios to defaults. Upon next reboot, verify what the bios setting are, re-edit them provided if you have video display. If yes, do whatever to return to past old setting. Then add video card and retry re-installing it or see if works period. Again, if no video at all, either bad video card or weak psu, which does happen. I hope this covers it all.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.