Computer Help forum

General discussion

Windows warning! Pls. explain and offer solution.

by Henri Chow / October 25, 2004 10:00 PM PDT

I have been encountering frequent random hang-up with my PC. Sometimes after I reboot, it came up with the following warning and would open in Safe mode.

DISPLAY
XX There is a problem with your display settings. The adapter type is incorrect or the current settings do not work with your hardware.

Is this could be the source of my current predicament?
What went wrong? How could this be solved?

My PC is a PIII 533Mhz with 256MB ram running on Windows 98SE. Is this information sufficient?

Regards
Henri Chow.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows warning! Pls. explain and offer solution.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows warning! Pls. explain and offer solution.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Windows warning! Pls. explain and offer solution.
by billzhills / October 25, 2004 11:46 PM PDT

Henri,

Sounds like your video drivers have become corrupt.

Boot to safe mode -> in device manager remove all display adaptors. Re-Boot system and allow windows to re-install the drivers.

Bill

Collapse -
by Henri Chow / October 26, 2004 3:17 AM PDT

Hi Bill,

As advised, I have removed the display adapter and let Windows reinstalled the driver. Let's see if my problem solved.

Anyway, thanks so much for your kind advice.

Regards
Henri Chow.

Collapse -
by pc help / October 27, 2004 2:08 PM PDT

You obviously have graphics card issues-it's not your PC's RAM or CPU that's the problem. Make sure you have your Graphics card installed correctly with the correct drivers. Then go to control panel> click "Display"> go to the "advanced" tab. Make sure the adapter listed there is the correct one. Then, check to see if the drivers for the card are correct by going to start> run> type in "devmgmt.msc" (I DONT KNOW IF THIS COMMAND WORKS WITH WINDOWS 98)-it's Device manager-and find your adapter and check your driver there.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) "devmgmt.msc" for XP/2ooo
by billzhills / October 27, 2004 11:18 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?