Question

Windows Vista Startup

I'll make it short and simple. Vista starts up and stays on the fancy startup screen. After many attempts to repair, I ended up getting a new harddrive. The "broken" one still works fine in safe mode and still contains all my data which I pulled onto a Lacie. My silly question is, is there still hope to fix my old harddrive? I would happily provide you more information on what the issue is with the system, but that's another curiosity I can't understand. No error screen shows up. Nothing. It just flat out won't boot. Are there any tricks and tips as to how I can even check what the problem is? The harddrive was only 4 months old and seemed pretty intact after I took it out.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows Vista Startup
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Vista Startup
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Maybe. But what do we have to work with?

To work on this I'd need the full retail version of Vista since I might want to perform a VISTA REPAIR INSTALL.

You didn't tell what you tried such as SAFE MODE and looking at startup items with a fine tool called AUTORUNS.

(words in all caps are good things to research on google.)
Bob

- Collapse -
Clarification attempt

I'll begin from the start. I received my laptop with XP Professional as an OS. But installed the Vista Business instead. Everything was working fine for the few months I had it until I turned on my laptop one morning. The previous night I didn't do anything particular and didn't install or update anything. The Vista OS CD was in the pack I received from Dell along with the laptop (I had already asked them about it, but they were clueless and just gave me a new hard drive).

My first attempt in safe-mode was to restore my system to a previous date. That failed. As each time I tried to open that option, explorer crashed and asked if I would like to restart it. Tried to use the repair CD, but the system didn't even acknowledge there was a CD in the drive. Let alone give me a hint it was even contemplating on running. I tried a different repair CD I purchased in a computer store. Didn't work either. I attempted at doing a clean install as well. But that failed just as much. As far as computers go, I'm pretty stupid.

The hard drive was a Seagate for Dell Precision M4400 Mobile Workstation . The operating system was first XP Pro until Vista was installed. The issues only started when Vista was put in. Should have stuck to XP and waited for Win 7. At this point, I'm looking for a way to try and do a clean install.

Does that help?

- Collapse -
The clue is the story about failed CD/DVD boot+install.

It sounds like cleaning the CD/DVD lens then if that fails your machine needs a new DVDRW drive.

- Collapse -
Answer
Windows Vista Startup

maybe you can try to check for bad sectors on your hard drive, perhaps the problem is there

CNET Forums