Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Vista screen resolution got extremely low. Help

by zitro1987 / July 30, 2009 12:15 AM PDT

Hi, I'm new here and I hope you can help me.

This morning, my computer (HP laptop with Windows Vista) started up with an unusual problem: the screen resolution is basically extremely low, something like 200X125. It is so low that it's completely useless and when I manage to get the window where I can change the resolution (display settings), I see the top half of the window and cannot reach the bottom where you can change your resolution.

Running on safemode allows a standard resolution, but when I change it to the 1024X720 (or whatever it is) and hit apply, it doesn't change. Obviously, safemode doesn't have sound nor even internet access. Rebooting after safemode using normal mode made it return to the horrible resolution.

Despite not doing anything strange nor receiving files, nor going to new websites, I am running a through anti-virus scan all over my computer.

What can I do?

PS: when using the normal mode (low resolution issue), i got one of those windows for updating windows vista.

should I have to edit win.ini?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista screen resolution got extremely low. Help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista screen resolution got extremely low. Help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see a make. No model number.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 7:41 AM PDT

Many of the dv6000 and other models start doing that just prior to death. Hope you don't have anything important on the machine.

Google dv6000 recall for more detail.

Please make complete posts.
Bob

Collapse -
DV6000 res, etc.
by Phil Crase / July 31, 2009 12:10 AM PDT

Had a DV6000 in yesterday, res issues plus erratic keyboard function, very strange. After a bit of research discovered that there have been some issues with that and a couple of other HP DV series L/T'S. My suggestion was to contact and likely return to HP.

Collapse -
Hi Phil.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 3:18 AM PDT
In reply to: DV6000 res, etc.

I have some good news about that issue. The people I know with that failure all got the machine back in less than 10 days. Now it can be longer in New England when the winter storms are active. Why I noted that was a member was livid, incensed and making a big deal over delays in the repair during a time where there were hurricanes in the mid west and snow storms here. And it was one or two days late! Give me a break.

Ok, what was the good news? HP looks to replace the motherboard and re-image the drive and tell you to make new restore media. Some machines appear to get new plastic bits too. And that's not the good news either (Bob, get to it!) Ok, the units I know about in the circles I run are working still.

Price? Zero.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.