Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Vista: powerpoint background sound

by anton520pa / July 1, 2008 12:30 AM PDT

I have many Powerpoint files of pictures with music that friends have sent me over the years. In my prior versions of Windows (98SE and 2000) when I double click on the files they will start and the music will also start at the same time. The music in all files will play.

I got a new computer with Windows Vista Home Premium and now the files will open, the pictures will advance, but the music will only play in some files while in most files it will not play. I downloaded and installed Windows Office 2007 Home and Student Version. I also downloaded the 2007 Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer. Neither of these made a difference.

I suspect the problem may be that MS Media Player is not well configured. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Anton520

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista: powerpoint background sound
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista: powerpoint background sound
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Or there is a missing codec.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 1, 2008 12:57 AM PDT

Research CODECs on google but don't install any until you are sure you are getting the one needed for the file that didn't play. There is also a new issue with MIDI in Vista. Look into that as well. As we don't have access to the dead file we can't look at the source of the issue.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows Vista: powerpoint background sound
by anton520pa / August 2, 2008 12:45 PM PDT

I called Microsoft and they confessed that there is a Windows Vista problem with the playing of Power Point Files with music that were created with a version of Power point older than 2007. They claimed they are "working on it" and may be fixed when they issue Vista Service Pack # 2.

Collapse -
Vista, Windows 7, won't play MP3 background sounds
by petzlx / January 15, 2010 2:52 PM PST

rename extension *.mp3 to *.wav
IMO a better idea is with new computer buy a same size hard drive and put in the last working Microsoft Operating System, Your old copy of Windows XP
Always include Firewall, Virus & spywareware programs

When you sell computer/laptop you put original drive back in keeping your replacement, this then stops new buyers finding your old information

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!