HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

windows vista logon show configuring update

by xhanis / February 20, 2008 11:55 AM PST

hello friend i have a problem with this my father notebook
the notebook used windows vista home premium but the real problem is why when i try to logon it says this configuring updates stage 3 of 3 (0%) please dont turn off your computer

like it says so i wait for a moment then what happen is it suddenly shutdown and then it restart again showing the same logon screen before

i like to format but my father says if you want to format you must recover all his data but i cannot do anything because the driver cd and windows vista cd i did not have it either
my question is there any other method than you can suggest to solve this

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows vista logon show configuring update
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows vista logon show configuring update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A Reformat May Not Be Needed...It Depends...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 21, 2008 1:11 PM PST

..on the type of recovery disc you have.. If you've got the full Vista disc, place the disc in the DVD drive, then restart the computer and boot from the disc.. Select restore from a previous restore point and go back 3 or 4 restore points.. If the computer will then restart correctly, be sure to disable automatic updates and visit the Windows Update site manually.

The problem you're experiencing can occurs because of a bad update or a bad Release Candidate of Vista.. Is the laptop using a full, legitimate version of Vista?

Hope this helps and let us know more.

Grif

Collapse -
how to do it
by xhanis / February 22, 2008 1:27 PM PST

just like you say the recovery disc or vista installation disk i dont have it either so can i use any other vista version disk or the same one and what is vista recovery disc ?

can you give me an instruction on how to use the restore point and can i get vista recovery disk from internet by downloading it if yes can you show me the list of web that provide the tool

thank

Collapse -
More Information Needed...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 23, 2008 7:18 AM PST
In reply to: how to do it

Unfortunately, you've told us little about the problem computer so there's not much more we can do.. What brand name? What model number? Which version of Vista is installed and how was it installed? (At the factory? By you or a computer tech?)

No, you can't download a Vista Recovery disc from the internet.. It's provided by the computer manufacturer and can be sent to you if needed.. Vista Recovery options are listed on the manufacturer's website and can also be found easily by typing "Vista Recovery" into Google.com. Basically, the Vista Recovery Environment can be loaded by using the Vista DVD or using the preinstalled Vista recovery options.

You can only use the Vista disc version for which you have a license/product key.. The Vista version and product key are listed on the computer top or bottom.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.