General discussion

Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional upgrade

I currently have windows vista home premium on my laptop, but i would like to upgrade to windows 7 professional. My school offers software through the MSDNAA. I can get windows vista business through them, as well as windows 7 professional. But, do i have to upgrade to vista business before goint to 7 pro? I read that on the windows website. Also, i'd much rather do the upgrade than the custom/clean install of windows 7. So, do I have the right method of upgrading to pro? Can I upgrade to business and then upgrade to windows 7 professional? Any other suggestions?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional upgrade
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional upgrade
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Here's what I find
- Collapse -
Anytime Upgrade

Hi Taylor,

Steven is correct. You can get the information from the link he provided. You cannot upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Professional. If you want to go to Windows 7 Professional, I recommend you back up to an external hard drive and do a clean install (though I know that is not the answer you wanted...).

Another option is to upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium and then use Anytime Upgrade to move from Home Premium to Professional - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-anytime-upgrade.

Cheers,
Cassandra
Microsoft Windows Outreach

- Collapse -
But can i get the business edition and then go to 7 pro

I understand that I cant go from Vista Home Premium to 7 Professional, and also that I could go from Vista Home Premium to 7 Home Premium and then to 7 Professional. But, because I can only get Windows 7 Professional for free through my school and not Windows 7 Home Premium, can I upgrade from Vista Home Premium to Vista Business and then from Vista Business to Windows 7 Professional? (I can upgrade to Vista Business for free too.) Is that a possibility considering the windows website says that you can upgrade from Vista Business to 7 Pro? Is it possible that this double upgrade step will cause a problem?

- Collapse -
Looks like only with a clean installation

CNET Forums

Forum Info