Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Vista Home Basic product key

by eeroanjo / March 22, 2010 4:48 AM PDT

I downloaded Windows Vista on my mom's computer because she had several viruses on hers. It came with Windows XP in 2005 and it did not come with a disc to restore the system. It came with the paper that said to go through a certain process to restore it. BUT we couldn't go through that process since there were so many viruses on the computer.

The crux of the problem is that now the computer says that the windows is not genuine and needs a product key. Where do I find that and how much is it? Is it because I used the Vista from my computer? I'm sure that's probably it but any help/suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista Home Basic product key
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista Home Basic product key
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes
by Jimmy Greystone / March 22, 2010 4:54 AM PDT

Yes, it is because you used a copy of Vista from your computer. That is piracy, and illegal. You are allowed to use ONE copy of Windows on a SINGLE machine, and THAT IS IT. Anything else is piracy, and Microsoft has been adding teeth to this license provision that has been there since the birth of Windows.

You will need to go to some electronics store that sells copies of Windows and buy a copy of Vista to get that product key.

You could also call the Microsoft activation hotline, and they might be able to sell you a license, or at least transfer you to someone who can.

As for how much it will cost, that depends on the version you get, but figure on probably at least around $150US.

Finally, minor quibble, but you didn't download anything, you installed it. Downloading requires a network connection, and installing from local media on a local machine does not qualify. I mention it because it may confuse some and cause unnecessary delays in receiving assistance at some point in the future.

Collapse -
Unless
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2010 6:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

the OP meant that he downloaded a pirated copy of Vista, then installed that. The OP wasn't too clear on the process.

But other than that, I agree entirely.

Mark

Collapse -
Okay
by eeroanjo / March 27, 2010 7:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Okay. So I need to buy a product key. I don't want to commit any crimes. Thanks all for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.