General discussion

Windows Vista Error: 0x0000C1F5 How to fix it

This is a nasty error and can give you a serious headache. There are several posts online that may help some but not all. This solution is 100% sure to work.

You can take your computer in for a system recovery which will most likely cost you over $100.... But what if it happens again?

Step 1: Make sure you have the recovery disc or windows vista disc if you do not have one you can always purchase a recovery disc for around $20 from your computer manufacturer.

(Note: This error often will not allow you to reinstall an operating system and will continue to the blue error screen after running the disc)

Step 2: You will need to obtain a hard drive enclosure kit to back up your files then format the hard drive . They sell them at Best Buy and other various places.

(Note: make sure you get the right one there are two different kinds for laptops one is PATA and the other is SATA. You can find out which one you need by removing your hard drive and checking the type of hard drive you have. If you have a desktop you just need to buy the one for desktops)

Simply remove your hard drive place it into the enclosure kit. Then connect it to another computer. You will then have access to all of your files. Copy only the ones you need. I would not suggest copying most programs but there are a few exceptions.

Once you are done go into My Computer find the drive and right click on it selecting FORMAT. I would recomend using quick format.

Step 3: Once it is done formating put your hard drive back into your computer and run the recovery disc... IT WORKS! NO MORE BLUE SCREEN!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows Vista Error: 0x0000C1F5 How to fix it
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Vista Error: 0x0000C1F5 How to fix it
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
That is a *last resort* for nearly ANY problem...

Yes, wiping the hard drive and starting from scratch will resolve the problem. It will solve nearly any such software issue. But it is the last resort option, and certainly not recommended as the only repair attempt. In the case of 0x0000C1F5:

-> Try running System Restore from the Windows Vista DVD.
-> Apply the hotfix from Microsoft if/when the system boots.
-> Try deleting/replacing the $TxfLog file.
-> Boot to a Windows 7 DVD (beta, RC, or RTM), which can fix the issue automatically.

Bottom line: Chopping off the offending part is always an option, but you should always try to save it before giving up.

John

- Collapse -
I agree

In my case and several others the only way to resolve the problem was a total system restore... Thank you for your reply.

- Collapse -
I agree

In my case and several others the only way to resolve the problem was a total system restore... Thank you for your reply.

CNET Forums