Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Vista- Can't Print!

I have Vista installed on my laptop and neither printer than I own will work. My newest printer is a Canon Pixma iP2600. I installed the software successfully, but nothing will print. Through Control Panel I opened the printer (which is set as default) and attempted to print a test page. My printer is online and the document appears in queue. The print status bar goes green about a quarter of the way and I get an error. "Printer data cannot be sent because of the current printer status." I've run the troubleshooting included with the Canon software, updated the driver via Microsoft, restarted the computer, tried again with the firewall turned off. In short, I've exhausted all of the options that I can come up with. Help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista- Can't Print!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista- Can't Print!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Port

In reply to: Windows Vista- Can't Print!

I also checked that the port was correct as I'm running through USB.

Collapse -
driver

Have you tried updating the driver from Canon's website?

Collapse -
Driver

In reply to: driver

Already tried to update the driver. Appeared to update successfully but the printer still won't print. I also can't get information on my printer status or ink levels but it says that the printer is online.

Collapse -
me too

In reply to: Driver

I have a similar problem with a Samsung ML-1740 printer on Vista. The control panel says it is "Ready", but even a test page will not print. It simply asks if I want to use the troubleshooter for diagnosing the problem. I've installed and re-intalled several times...with firewall off, as administrator...all I could think of.

any new updates to this problem....thanks.

Collapse -
Question for both posters

In reply to: me too

Did you install the driver before plugging the printer into the usb socket on the PC?
If not or not sure, unplug your printer, delete all print tasks in the print queue and uninstall the software and delete the printer from contol panel/printers then reinstall the software and then plug in the printer.
HTH

Collapse -
did that

In reply to: Question for both posters

I have done that several times. deleted re-installed etc. tried every which way, but no luck. Printer and cables have been tested as ok on other PCs. Installed different printer on this vista pc and it worked ok. Just can't get this samsung printer to work, with no real error messages.

Collapse -
Is this Vista compatible?

In reply to: did that

Collapse -
samsung has drivers for windows vista and win 7

In reply to: Is this Vista compatible?

Newest drivers on the website says it is. I also installed the printer on 2 other Vista pc's (my kids laptops) and it works fine. It is something on my vista printing process for this printer specifically. Let's try another approach, other than using the driver's uninstall tool to remove the driver (cause I already did that), is there a way to clean out the registry to make sure any remnants of this driver is out of my system so I can install clean again? Thnks.

Collapse -
There are driver cleaners.

In reply to: samsung has drivers for windows vista and win 7

Collapse -
i am downloading a cleaner now

In reply to: There are driver cleaners.

I have no other printers installed and the port is set to USB....the printer is detected as I already stated. It is in a ready state. If I remove the USB cable (disconnect) the printer says offline. So there is obviously communication. It just won't print. I am going to try and clean out whatever previous information the registry has about this printer.

Collapse -
fixed it myself

In reply to: i am downloading a cleaner now

I knew the problem was in vista registry. I edited the registry myself, and deleted every instance of Samsung ML-1740 keys I could find. Long process. Rebooted and re-installed the drivers.

Works like a charm now.

Collapse -
HPs have a similar issue.

In reply to: fixed it myself

HP FINALLY issued a printer driver cleaner for such an issue. It's a shame that 2 decades later and we still get problems like this.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Forum nesting.

The nesting only goes so far then you need to reply to the top post to start it again. Otherwise you get posts that you can't reply to.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.