General discussion

Windows Vista Business 32-Bit Install Problems

Hi All,

I desperately need your help.

I got a new Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop about two weeks ago with WIndows Vista Business 32 Bit pre-installed. I was having major problems with all of my Programs locking up and going "not responding". It was determined I needed to reinstall Windows Vista from the Included DIsc from Dell. I have reformatted the Partition that was the C: drive. I have it set to boot from the CD and it does so normally thru the first four steps and I get the green completed checkmarks 1. Copying Windows Files 2. Expanding Files 3. Installing features 4. Installing updates.

On the final step Completing Installation it takes forever, It goes for approx 1.5 hrs and then the screen goes black, however the computer has never froze up. I Can't reboot the system at all when this happens so I had to shut the computer off by holding the power button down and restarted the Laptop. If I try and boot windows normally at this point I get the Green scrollbar and it just keeps scrolling and never does anything else. What the heck am I doing wrong, I am on my third attempt at reinstalling Vista? Should I just let it keep doing its thing when the screen goes blank? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Dell Inspiron 1720
Intel Pentium Dual Core 1.4 GHZ processor
160 GB HDD
2 GB Dell Memory
Windows Vista Business Preinstalled

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Windows Vista Business 32-Bit Install Problems
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Vista Business 32-Bit Install Problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Did you activate it?

How about the license key are you sure you entered it correctly? It should be with the disk or on your tower on a bar code tag.

I'd let it run The letters and numbers just may not be showing up for some reason but it's loading any way. Let is run for a few hours. I'm running Vista Business.

Check the disk is it scratched? Is it dirty? Can you order a replacement from the manufacturer of the computer? I got one for about $15.00 from HP: it was shipped in about three days. Could it have been erased? A magnet can do this. Was the CD/DVD drive working properly before you started to rebooted the OS? How many drives do you have? Let me know.

- Collapse -
Can't Activate?!?!

Thanks for the reply,

I never get a screen to put in the license code at the start of the install, which I thought was strange. The disk itself is brand new from Dell, and I literally broke the seal on the sleeve yesterday when I tried to reinstall Vista. I don't see any scratches and if its blank it must have shipped from Dell like that.

I did speak to Dells Tech support last night, and they are shipping me a replacement Hard Drive with Windows Vista Business already installed. I hope that will fix it, I should know tomorrow sometime when the Drive gets here.

- Collapse -
(NT) Yep that's the problem.
- Collapse -
Actually...

Manufacturers are leaving the process of entering the product key behind in favor of an easier and potentially more reliable method: Scanning the installed hardware. The customized system recovery disk scans the hardware (primarily the motherboard) and checks the system BIOS to verify the copy of Windows was designated for installation on the computer. No keys to lose, no keys to share. If there was no prompt to enter a product key, that's likely why.

I'm surprised at Dell's decision to ship a brand new hard drive with Vista preinstalled, but that should clear it right up.If they hadn't I'd suggest wiping the drive with DBAN and attempting the installation again...lingering files from a previous installation are a common cause for failed reinstalls.

John

- Collapse -
Activation from the disk

reguires that the user check a box before proceeding. (some times it does not work by the way.)

- Collapse -
Here is what you have to do in order to install an OS

To install an Os on you Dell Inspiron 1720 you have to follow those steps:
1. Enter the BIOS Setup Menu by pressing F2 when the computer starts
2.Go to "Onboard Devices"
3.Go to "Flash Cache Module" and disable it(turn it "off").
4.Go to "SATA Operation" and switch from "AHCI" to "ATA".
5.Save and Exit de BIOS Setup and then install you os.

I hope you understoon what you have to do and I also hope the information i gave will help.

- Collapse -
installing

thanks for that i was wondering why my install wouldnt take. do you have to change the settings back once you have finished the install?

- Collapse -
thnx! Reset settings after install?

Thanks alot for this post.
One question I haven't seen answered: after install, can and is it wise to reset the altered options to their original values?

What do these options mean?

regards

- Collapse -
It Depends..

Flash Cache Module= Allows the computer to support ReadyDrive. ReadyDrive is a new feature in Windows Vista that enables PCs equipped with a hybrid hard disk?a new kind of hard disk that adds flash memory to a standard mobile PC hard disk drive.

Switch from "AHCI" to "ATA": AHCI is primarily Host Controller support for SATA drives.

So, If you don't have a hybrid hard disk, then you don't need to re-enable Flash Cache Module..

If you don't have a SATA drive, then you don't need to re-enable AHCI... Or if you do have a SATA drive and you haven't installed the SATA drivers and you don't need the last little bit of SATA drive performance you DON'T need to re-enable AHCI. (Many home users leave it disabled because the performance boost is neglible for the average websurfer.) On the other hand, if you HAVE installed the SATA drivers and you do want all the performance possible out of your SATA drive, then DO re-enable AHCI.

Hope this helps.

Grif

- Collapse -
This is a warranty issue.

You've put in the time, now to peg Dell for the crime. Call it in and start the process.

CNET Forums

Forum Info