Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Vista Boot-up Problem?

My dad has a HP Pavilion running Windows Vista Home Premium and I tried to turn it on but, a screen came up and it gave me an option to go into "Safe Mode" or "Start Windows Normally" and a couple more options. And I selected Start Normally and another screen came up saying Windows Disk Cleanup and I let it do its thing and in the middle of the process the machine shut down out of no where. So I turned it on and went through the same process but I didn't do the disk cleanup and them it let me log in and I got to the desktop and it shut down again.

So please if anyone knows how to fix this reply to this message.

Thanks

Message was edited by: admin to remove email address to prevent spam harvesters from picking it up.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista Boot-up Problem?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista Boot-up Problem?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
UPDATE

In reply to: Windows Vista Boot-up Problem?

When I said Disk clean up, I actually meant checking the C Drive for consitency.

Collapse -
Sounds like

Sounds like a bad power supply. IF the system is still under warranty, call HP and have them send you a new one. Otherwise, hope it's just a plain ATX power supply, and there's nothing proprietary about it, and go to your local Best Buy type store and buy a new one. Just check the output rating on the one currently in the system (probably 250W) and make sure any new power supply you buy has an output rating matching, or exceeding, your original.

Collapse -
hope u have the vista cd---------don't reinstall!

Hi-had this problem several times-just use the VISTA cd-DON't reinstall-use the "REPAIR" OPTION and Vista will repair any problems!-hope this helps-take a kid fishing!!

Collapse -
Vista with no disc

In reply to: hope u have the vista cd---------don't reinstall!

We bought the computer with Vista already installed on it so, it didn't come with one.

Collapse -
You have two options...

In reply to: Vista with no disc

1.) Burn the recovery DVDs, as instructed in the user manual.
2.) Order the recovery DVDs from the manufacturer for a nominal fee.

Unfortunately, a lot of people skip over #1 until it is too late.

John

Collapse -
you guys don't have to reply

In reply to: You have two options...

I bought a mac and we recycled the HP.

But thanks for all of your suggestions.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.