Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Vista Blue Screen of Death

by GMUHistorian / June 28, 2009 2:57 AM PDT

For about a week now I've been getting a BSOD on my PC but have been unable to actually see it happen. (It always has happened when I've been temporarily away from my PC) and just missed it happening today. I saw the blue screen for just a few seconds before the PC re-booted.

Here's what I got from Vista after the pc re-booted.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 7a
BCP1: C0402E70
BCP2: C0000185
BCP3: 0E44E860
BCP4: 805CEA9A
OS Version: 6_0_6002
Service Pack: 2_0
Product: 768_1

Files that help describe the problem:
C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini062809-01.dmp
C:\Users\CJ\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-49717-0.sysdata.xml
C:\Users\CJ\AppData\Local\Temp\WERE658.tmp.version.txt

Can anybody help me with what's going on with my PC and how to fix it?
It seems that these BSOD started after I downloaded the last Windows Live ID update and my AVG Anti-Virus also went nuts and I had to enter safe mode to just uninstall it and install a new anti-virus program. It's telling me my system does not have a virus or any malware.

What's going on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista Blue Screen of Death
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista Blue Screen of Death
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How to see that blue screen
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 28, 2009 4:21 AM PDT

I'm new to Vista so I won't attempt to help you with the problem, but did you know that there is a setting that will prevent the system restarting immediately after a crash like that, and so allow you to see the BSOD?

In Control Panel > System > Advanced system settings, (on the left), Accept the "Windows will need your permission to continue" if it appears, then click the Settings button under "Startup and recovery". In the new window, remove the tick for "Automatically restart" under System failure.

That will at least let you see the BSOD and write down the full message if you need to. You will need to turn off the computer manually afterwards.

Just one other thing. Did you read that text file held in C:\Users\CJ\AppData\Local\Temp\WERE658.tmp.version.txt ?

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks!
by GMUHistorian / June 28, 2009 4:55 AM PDT

Thanks for the tip! I fixed it so my machine won't automatically restart and will allow me to write down the problem.

I tried to read the text file, but here's the oddity...it doesn't exist! I went through all of the files in the appropriate location and there isn't a WERE658.tmp.version.txt file there. I searched my system and the search also wasn't able to find that file anywhere.

I'm very confused as to what's happening. I've found on Google that it appears when this BSOD has happened with XP it's a RAM issue and the RAM may need to be replaced but I did a Windows Memory test and there's (allegedly) no problems with my memory.

Collapse -
What is the STOP code?
by John.Wilkinson / June 28, 2009 10:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!

When the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) appears, a STOP code, error message, and possibly a filename should be provided. That helps identify the source of the issue, whereas the information displayed after the system reboots is only valuable to Microsoft.

Let us know.
John

Collapse -
Thanks Again!
by GMUHistorian / June 28, 2009 11:10 AM PDT
In reply to: What is the STOP code?

John,

Thanks for that tip. As Mark suggested above, I changed the settings in Vista so my machine won't reboot immediately after a BSOD. When it occurs again, I'll write down everything.

The only thing I can recall from the few seconds of a BSOD today was that the word kernel appeared in the description on the BSOD but I am not sure in what context.

I will post again when it occurs and I can write down all of the information it gives me. It's only happened a few times, and not once every day since I first saw it either. So I am unsure when it will occur again.

Collapse -
Got BSOD Again and Have More Info
by GMUHistorian / July 10, 2009 5:01 PM PDT

All,

I got the BSOD for the first time since I started this thread. This time my PC did not automatically re-boot and I have copied down all of the information on the BSOD.

Here it is:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

STOP: 0x0000007A (0xC0402E40, 0xC00000185, 0x1F3B0860, 0x805c8012)

***ataport.sys-Address 805c8012
base at 805B4000
Datestamp 49e01eee

Can anybody enlighten me on what's going on?

At the time, I was connected to the 'net and actually posting on a forum. My anti-virus software was also in the middle of a scan.

My anti-virus did locate and get rid of a virus about a week ago that was somehow attached to my Toshiba DVD Player application. Since then, every scan has not found a virus.

Collapse -
Just a quick response
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / July 10, 2009 7:49 PM PDT

I will let others give better and comprehensive advice, but that 0x7A BSOD with ataport.sys seems to be a hardware problem, either with incompatible disk or controller drivers, firmware, or hardware.

Have you made any hardware changes recently, eg hard drives, or updated any drivers?

Let's see what others say.

Mark

Collapse -
No New Hardware or Drivers
by GMUHistorian / July 11, 2009 2:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a quick response

Mark,

No, I haven't made any changes to the hardware or drivers at all.

I've run checkdisk and its not found any problems with my current hard drive either. I'm really stumped on this one.

Bob,

It's happened 2-3 times while I've been away from the machine but last night it happened while I was using the machine. I checked for a trojan in my registry as suggested by one of the Google results, but didn't find anything.

I will disable the screen saver just in case that's an issue. I'm not sure how to check if it's a heat issue, or what to do about it if it is. The laptop's currently on a table with plenty of ventilation.

Collapse -
In general
by Jimmy Greystone / July 11, 2009 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a quick response

In general, the only time you should see a BSOD in WindowsNT/2000/XP/Vista/7 is if there's bad hardware and/or a bad driver.

You used to see them quite a bit more in the Win 3.x and 95-Me days because programs were able to directly access the hardware. The NT line of Windows (see above list) prohibits most programs, even those run with admin level privileges, from directly accessing the hardware. They MUST go through the OS which acts as a broker. So only bad hardware and/or bad drivers should be able to trigger BSOD errors.

Collapse -
Looking at other discussions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2009 11:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
Wait, wait, don't tell me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2009 3:26 AM PDT

Is this a HP DV6000 or DV9000 series? This and other lines do exactly what you note. But the details are not in your posts so far. So we may be missing a big clue.

Collapse -
It's a Toshiba
by GMUHistorian / July 11, 2009 3:56 AM PDT

Bob,

Nope, it's a Toshiba Satellite A205. What details are missing? I copied everything that was on the BSOD. What else do I need to find out?

Collapse -
Keep in mind.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2009 4:05 AM PDT
In reply to: It's a Toshiba

The BSOD details are not enough. You have to tell a lot more.

There are a dozen models of the A205. It matters since I can look for some common issue with your model.

Now post your HIJACKTHIS log so I can see if you have some TOXIC COMBO installed.
Bob

Collapse -
HijackThis Log File
by GMUHistorian / July 11, 2009 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Keep in mind.

It's a Toshiba Satellite A205-S5859. I read that the Toshiba Satellite laptops at one time had overheating issues, but I believe that this was in the model previous to the one I've got.

Full system specs are Core 2 Duo, 1.83 GHz, 2 GB RAM.

Here's the HiJackThis Log file.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:24:10 PM, on 7/11/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6002.18005)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynToshiba.exe
C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\PdfCreate5Hook.exe
C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Utilities\KeNotify.exe
C:\Program Files\Toshiba\ConfigFree\NDSTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba\traybar.exe
C:\Windows\System32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Windows\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Windows\System32\igfxtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2\CorelIOMonitor.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Windows\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
C:\Program Files\Toshiba\TOSCDSPD\TOSCDSPD.exe
C:\Program Files\eFax Messenger 4.4\J2GDllCmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba\CEC_MAIN.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Users\CJ\AppData\Local\Autobahn\mlb-nexdef-autobahn.exe
C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\VIPRE\SBAMTray.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Toshiba\ConfigFree\CFSwMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\WinMail.exe
C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.toshibadirect.com/dpdstart
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://espn.go.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.toshibadirect.com/dpdstart
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG8\avgssie.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.1.1309.15642\swg.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Dictionary Compression sdch - {C84D72FE-E17D-4195-BB24-76C02E2E7C4E} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\fastsearch_A8904FB862BD9564.dll
O2 - BHO: ZeonIEEventHelper Class - {DA986D7D-CCAF-47B2-84FE-BFA1549BEBF9} - C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\bin\ZeonIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: Java(tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper - {DBC80044-A445-435b-BC74-9C25C1C588A9} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jp2ssv.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Nuance PDF - {E3286BF1-E654-42FF-B4A6-5E111731DF6B} - C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\bin\ZeonIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Nuance PDF Create! 5-reminder] "C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\Ereg\Ereg.exe" -r "C:\ProgramData\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\Ereg\Ereg.ini"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SSBkgdUpdate] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Scansoft Shared\SSBkgdUpdate\SSBkgdupdate.exe" -Embedding -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDF5 Registry Controller] C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\RegistryController.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PDFHook] C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\pdfcreate5hook.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Google Desktop Search] "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe" /startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KeNotify] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Utilities\KeNotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SVPWUTIL] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\Utilities\SVPWUTIL.exe SVPwUTIL
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HWSetup] \HWSetup.exe hwSetUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NDSTray.exe] NDSTray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ITSecMng] %ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\ItSecMng.exe /START
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Camera Assistant Software] "C:\Program Files\Camera Assistant Software for Toshiba\traybar.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Apoint] C:\Program Files\Apoint2K\Apoint.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [00TCrdMain] %ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\FlashCards\TCrdMain.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SmoothView] %ProgramFiles%\Toshiba\SmoothView\SmoothView.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HSON] %ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\TBS\HSON.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TPwrMain] %ProgramFiles%\TOSHIBA\Power Saver\TPwrMain.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Persistence] C:\Windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\Windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\Windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Corel Photo Downloader] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Corel\Corel PhotoDownloader\Corel PhotoDownloader.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotSync] "C:\Program Files\PalmSource\Desktop\HotSync.exe" -AllUsers
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Corel File Shell Monitor] C:\Program Files\Corel\Corel Paint Shop Pro Photo X2\CorelIOMonitor.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdobeCS4ServiceManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\CS4ServiceManager\CS4ServiceManager.exe" -launchedbylogin
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CanonSolutionMenu] C:\Program Files\Canon\SolutionMenu\CNSLMAIN.exe /logon
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mxomssmenu] "C:\Program Files\Maxtor\OneTouch Status\maxmenumgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] "C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\jusched.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Skytel] Skytel.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SBAMTray] C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\VIPRE\SBAMTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\INSTAL~1\UPDATE~1\ISUSPM.exe -startup
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [TOSCDSPD] C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSCDSPD\toscdspd.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [eFax 4.4] "C:\Program Files\eFax Messenger 4.4\J2GDllCmd.exe" /R
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Zinio DLM] C:\Program Files\Zinio\ZinioReader.exe /autostart
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Messenger (Yahoo!)] "C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\YahooMessenger.exe" -quiet
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - Startup: MLB.TV NexDef Plug-in.lnk = C:\Users\CJ\AppData\Local\Autobahn\mlb-nexdef-autobahn.exe
O4 - Global Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Palm\Hotsync.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\Windows\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append Link Target to Existing PDF - res://C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEFavClient.dll/AcroIEAppendSelLinks.html
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append the content of the link to existing PDF file - res://C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\bin\ZeonIEFavClient.dll/ZeonIEAppend.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append the content of the selected links to existing PDF file - res://C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\bin\ZeonIEFavClient.dll/ZeonIEAppendSelLinks.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: Append to existing PDF file - res://C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\bin\ZeonIEFavClient.dll/ZeonIEAppend.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: Create PDF file - res://C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\bin\ZeonIEFavClient.dll/ZeonIECapture.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: Create PDF file from the content of the link - res://C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\bin\ZeonIEFavClient.dll/ZeonIECapture.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: Create PDF files from the selected links - res://C:\Program Files\Nuance\PDF Create! 5\bin\ZeonIEFavClient.dll/ZeonIECaptureSelLinks.HTML
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: Send to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: S&end to OneNote - {2670000A-7350-4f3c-8081-5663EE0C6C49} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\ONBttnIE.dll
O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office12\REFIEBAR.DLL
O13 - Gopher Prefix:
O18 - Filter: x-sdch - {B1759355-3EEC-4C1E-B0F1-B719FE26E377} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\Component\fastsearch_A8904FB862BD9564.dll
O20 - AppInit_DLLs: C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL,C:\PROGRA~1\Google\GOOGLE~1\GOEC62~1.DLL
O23 - Service: Agere Modem Call Progress Audio (AgereModemAudio) - Agere Systems - C:\Windows\system32\agrsmsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\bin\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
O23 - Service: WebEx Service Host for Support Center (atashost) - WebEx Communications, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\atashost.exe
O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
O23 - Service: ConfigFree Service - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\ConfigFree\CFSvcs.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Event Log (EvtEng) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: FLEXnet Licensing Service - Acresso Software Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Macrovision Shared\FLEXnet Publisher\FNPLicensingService.exe
O23 - Service: GameConsoleService - WildTangent, Inc. - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA Games\TOSHIBA Game Console\GameConsoleService.exe
O23 - Service: Google Desktop Manager 5.7.806.10245 (GoogleDesktopManager-061008-081103) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktop.exe
O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: Maxtor Service (Maxtor Sync Service) - Seagate Technology LLC - C:\Program Files\Maxtor\Sync\SyncServices.exe
O23 - Service: pinger - Unknown owner - C:\Toshiba\IVP\ISM\pinger.exe
O23 - Service: ProtexisLicensing - Unknown owner - C:\Windows\system32\PSIService.exe
O23 - Service: Intel(R) PROSet/Wireless Registry Service (RegSrvc) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: RMWPService - Apache Software Foundation - C:\Program Files\Reference Manager 12 Demo\WebPublisher\thirdparty\Apache2\bin\RMWP_Apache_Admin.exe
O23 - Service: RosettaStoneLtdController - Rosetta Stone Ltd. - C:\Program Files\RosettaStoneLtdServices\RosettaStoneLtdController.exe
O23 - Service: VIPRE Antivirus + Antispyware (SBAMSvc) - Sunbelt Software - C:\Program Files\Sunbelt Software\VIPRE\SBAMSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Swupdtmr - Unknown owner - c:\Toshiba\IVP\swupdate\swupdtmr.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Navi Support Service (TNaviSrv) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\Toshiba\TOSHIBA DVD PLAYER\TNaviSrv.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Optical Disc Drive Service (TODDSrv) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\TODDSrv.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Power Saver (TosCoSrv) - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Power Saver\TosCoSrv.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA Bluetooth Service - TOSHIBA CORPORATION - C:\Program Files\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\TosBtSrv.exe
O23 - Service: TOSHIBA SMART Log Service - TOSHIBA Corporation - C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\SMARTLogService\TosIPCSrv.exe
O23 - Service: Ulead Burning Helper (UleadBurningHelper) - Ulead Systems, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Ulead Systems\DVD\ULCDRSvr.exe
O23 - Service: Viewpoint Manager Service - Viewpoint Corporation - C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\Common\ViewpointService.exe

--
End of file - 14099 bytes

Collapse -
Just a few items.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2009 5:50 AM PDT
In reply to: HijackThis Log File

The easy items to remove are the lines that have (no file) or (file missing). No, this is just getting that area tidy and will not help the BSOD issue.

However, there is a lot going on in this machine.

Think over what's in this list and what can you do without. I'd toss out the google bar and such items first using the uninstaller and not Hijackthis.

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/toshiba-satellite-a205-s5859/4507-3121_7-33016436.html?tag=mncol;rnav and other research shows no wide spread issues so this leads me to ask:

-> Did anyone add RAM?
-> What software was installed since it was unpacked?
(besides Vipre)
Bob

Collapse -
A Lot of Software
by GMUHistorian / July 11, 2009 7:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a few items.

Bob,

Basically, everything except for the Toshiba or Windows Vista stuff has been installed on my machine since I got it. All of the Windows Office applications I installed myself as well. I can get rid of some of the things listed in HiJackThis because they're for programs which I no longer actually have installed on the machine. For example, Rosetta Stone I uninstalled via the program's uninstaller application months ago.

Since the BSOD started, the only things I've installed are Vipre and HijackThis. The RAM is the original factory install. I did a MemTest on the machine when this originally started happening, and it turned up no problems with my memory.

I installed Vipre because my free AVG anti-virus somehow got corrupted and it kept giving me a "license corrupted" message even though there was no license because it was a free program. I went through a week of conversations with AVG on their forum because of it (and others who had the same problem about the same time I did) and eventually had to boot into safe mode to get rid of the program because it wouldn't uninstall via any other method.

Perhaps this issue and the AVG problem are somehow related? The AVG problem did occur at about the same time as the first BSOD I got.

Collapse -
Hard to say.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2009 8:10 AM PDT
In reply to: A Lot of Software

The clues are not in place yet.

But AVG appears no where in that HJT log so I won't count that as a cause. But it could be a symptom. A friend's machine got this infection -> READ http://www.symantec.com/security_response/writeup.jsp?docid=2009-031816-5114-99&tabid=2

This is showing up in variant forms. The way I think it's getting in is that the owner installs a CODEC that comes with that trojan.

At the time I ran into this one, none of the usual antivirus (AV) detected it. It was not until it started popping up random web sites that I was able to track it down and kill it.

Besides the BSOD, what other clues do we have?

-> Any odd web pages coming up?
-> Any one remove the battery from the machine to "save it"?
-> How about google bar and what I noted? Can those go away?
Bob

Collapse -
Nothing Unusual
by GMUHistorian / July 11, 2009 9:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Hard to say.

Bob,

Unfortunately (only because it would help define the issue) I haven't gotten any odd web pages come up when I load Firefox (what I primarily use) or IE 7. I use IE very rarely and just loaded it up to check, and it loaded fine with ESPN.com as the home page, which it is set to do.

The battery hasn't left the computer either.

I forgot to mention in the previous post that Google Desktop also did come factory installed, I didn't install it myself. I'll try uninstalling Google desktop and then re-installing it (because, frankly, I do love the application) and see what happens.

I just remembered that some months ago I had a problem where Explorer.exe would suddenly, and inexplicably, crash but Vista would not give me a BSOD on that, just ask if I wanted to re-start the application. I'd say yes, and it would re-start just fine. I was in the process of investigating that issue when it suddenly just stopped happening. I haven't had Windows Explorer.exe crash on me in probably two months.

I'll try uninstalling Google desktop and re-installing it to see if that will correct my BSOD issue.

Collapse -
Reinstall?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2009 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Nothing Unusual

If the BSOD is repeatable then we don't reinstall.

Also you do know that Windows does bsod on corrupt jpegs and a few bad AVI files? Microsoft doesn't seem to have the cured yet.
Bob

Collapse -
Don't think it's Google
by GMUHistorian / July 11, 2009 4:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Reinstall?

I don't think it's Google Desktop for a few reasons. One, Google Desktop came pre-installed from the factory. Google's got a relationship with Toshiba apparently. Two, both of the Gadgets I had installed were created by Google themselves and not a user. Three, I've had both gadgets installed for nearly as long as I've owned the PC and no problems until recently. I was just kind of hoping perhaps it was a corrupted file that would get deleted and fixed with a re-installation. It only took a few minutes, so it was worth the at least a try.

I only have three jpeg's on my machine that weren't pre-installed with Vista. All three open fine and do not appear to be corrupted. I ran them, plus the Vista pre-installed jpegs, through Vipre and it didn't report any issues. I don't have any avi's on my machine at all. All of my music is iTunes .m4p and I don't have any downloaded movies on my machine.

But, Jimmy posted that most software applications aren't allowed to access the hardware directly in the NT line of Windows OS's like Vista. So, at this point, shouldn't I be looking for hardware problems?

I've gone through Device Manager and looked for updated drivers for my hard drive, CD/DVD combo drive, video and audio adapters. According to Windows, I'm using the latest drivers for each device. I also went and selected every single device in the Device Manager and all are reported to be working properly. The only odd thing is that device manager lists two Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 processors. Both are reported to be working properly. Is this normal? I thought it would only list one processor.

I tried to install Everest to check my PC's temperature but it doesn't fully support my machine. It says I've got a Intel ICH8 South Bridge and that version of Everest doesn't support it. However, the report function did tell me the sensor in my hard drive reports the machine is running at 97 degrees Fahrenheit/36 degrees Celsius. From what I've been able to gather using Google, this temp doesn't seem out of the normal range.

Collapse -
Installed SpeedFan too
by GMUHistorian / July 11, 2009 4:22 PM PDT

I installed SpeedFan and it reports my core temperatures are 47C for both Core 0 and Core 1. It's gotten as high as 48-49 degrees Celsius for each.

Collapse -
Then we are done.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 11, 2009 10:47 PM PDT

My method is simple. We move back to as few things as possible. If we can't do that then you'll have to call the machine in and make it a warranty issue.

Sorry, BTDT too many times so let's say good luck and good hunting.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.