Windows Vista forum

General discussion

windows vista and w.v upgrade difference

I want to know whats the difference between Windows vista and windows vista upgrade?
i looked at vista boxes, and i saw 2 different windows vista ultimate. I saw Windows vista Ultimate cost around 500$ and Windows vista Upgrade cost 200$. What the hell is the difference?

Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: windows vista and w.v upgrade difference
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: windows vista and w.v upgrade difference
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Vista (upgrade)

In reply to: windows vista and w.v upgrade difference

You can use Vista upgrade for a machine with XP installed on it. You must use Vista full for a new machine. That's for sure.

Windows XP Upgrade was less demanding. It only required you to put a Windows 98 CD in the drive as proof that you had a valid license of Windows 98 to upgrade, even when installing on a new blank hard disk.

I don't know if Vista upgrade is just as easy about its requirements as XP or requires a operational (or even activated) copy of XP on the same hard disk or in the same partition.
But I'm sure somebody here knows.

Kees

Collapse -
The license

In reply to: windows vista and w.v upgrade difference

The license is what's the difference between the two. If you know what you're doing, you can get the upgrade versions to install on a system without an operating system, but the conditions for the reduced price of the upgrade version is that you own a license for a qualifying upgrade product.

It's doubtful Microsoft would ever know if you built a new system and loaded Vista onto it using an upgrade version, but it is technically a violation of the terms of the license to use the software, so you would be in breach of contract. Technically Microsoft could terminate your use of Windows and likely sue you for damages. The odds of that happening are very remote, but they are greater than zero. So if you want to stay on the legal up and up, you would need to pay for the full retail version if you were building a new system or didn't have a license for a qualifying upgrade product.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.