Windows Vista forum

General discussion

Windows Vista and Anti-Virus software

I just got my new Windows Vista computer from Dell and it seems to be working good. However it came with a 30 day free trial of Norton 2007. I don't like Norton and I will not be using it after my 30 days or sooner perhaps if someone can advise me of a good alterative. And I'm also getting that same error message about the Sonic Drivers when the computer starts up.

AMD Dual Core 3800+
2 Gig RAM
Windows Vista Home Prem.
DSL Connection; DSL modem has a firewall built it.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista and Anti-Virus software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista and Anti-Virus software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I HAVE A DELL TOO

In reply to: Windows Vista and Anti-Virus software

Get rid of Norton. That's the first thing I did when I got my Dell 2 months ago. Avast and AVG work with Vista. For the Sonic drivers check out the Dell Community Forum, many posts about that issue. One thing they suggest is to get rid if DLA, It doesn't work with Vista.

Collapse -
Firewall suggestion?

In reply to: I HAVE A DELL TOO

I've used Avast before on my XP machine and liked it fairly well. I was using ZA security suite on the XP system since Avast didn't catch a virus I had gotten on my computer. And according to AV comparatives Avast and AVG do not catch as many viruses as some of the other programs. What about a firewall program for Vista? Has anyone used Trend Micro? Does it slow the system down a lot?

Collapse -
Consider Windows Live OneCare

In reply to: Firewall suggestion?

It comes with a stronger firewall than that built in to Vista, along with anti-virus, anti-spyware, "Performance Plus" tuneup and "Backup & Restore" that will burn to CD/DVD if you don't have an external HD. The cost is $50 per year for up to 3 computers.

I gave up ZoneAlarm because they didn't have tuneups or backups and would have cost me about $60 per computer for a year!

Collapse -
Give Live Onecare a try

My advice would be to get rid of Norton right away, and download a 90 day free trial of Windows Live Onecare.
I recently did just that and now have all my PC's running Onecare.
I have had absolutely no problems with it, and is easy to use.
Soon I will subscribe, and run 3 PC's for less than I would pay for one with Norton...
Plus it loads much faster... D

Collapse -
Everything I read about Windows Live One Care

In reply to: Give Live Onecare a try

is that it doesn't find anything because it is not very good. So, you might think it is doing its job but.... Check the reviews on C/Net, ZD/Net, PC World and PC Magazine.

I'll keep Norton.

Collapse -
Windows One care?

In reply to: Everything I read about Windows Live One Care

According to the info I've read One Care doesn't sound very good. According to Virus Bullentin's website both One Care and McAfee failed the tests on Windows Vista so those 2 are off my list.

Collapse -
99% accuracy is failure!

In reply to: Windows One care?

Windows OneCare is very good, and yes the anti-virus failed the virus bulletin's test because it ONLY passes if it catches 100%. It cought 99% and since then Microsoft has come out with OneCare 1.5, which is said to have resolved the 1% it missed.

Windows OneCare offers more than just anti-virus, anti-spyware and strong firewall. It will tuneup and defrag your computer and do scheduled or manual backups of important data to CD/DVD or an external hard drive. And a subscription covers 3 computers! Add that to the security features of Vista and you will be well protected.

Collapse -
Antivirus

Norton is terrible....adds too much junk to your system and is very hard to completely remove...but do it. I have used AVG for 6 years and I have never had a virus or problem with it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.