Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Windows Vista

by lions / March 26, 2006 9:47 AM PST

I intend to buit a new computer so might as well be ready for windows Vista.I would like to have your input for the new hardware if are any specific demands.I couldn't find anything specific on Google.
Thank you.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just look for one thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2006 9:51 AM PST
In reply to: Windows Vista

Drivers.

Just like the move from the old OS you'll need drivers for Vista for your new hardware.

This is my roundabout way of telling you that it's unlikely the needed drivers will appear over the next 9 to 12 months.

Bob

Collapse -
Basics...
by John.Wilkinson / March 26, 2006 10:32 AM PST

* A 'modern' processor. Suggested is 2.4GHz or AMD equivalent...shouldn't be a problem a all. Dual-core and 64-bit computing is not necessary, but always a plus.

* 512MB RAM. It can make do with less, but 'reduced graphics mode' would likely be your best friend then. 1GB would be optimal and 2GB for the gamer or multitasker couldn't hurt.

* A 'true' graphics card...integrated graphics are now frowned upon by Microsoft, and will also lead to reduced graphics mode all too often. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, and any AGP x8 or PCIe x16 with 128MB+ dedicated memory is good. $60 can do that if you shop around a little bit.

Aside from that, bend it to your will.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Vista
by Centurion1954 / May 10, 2006 12:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Basics...

Well, we're well on our way to a Jan./07 release date as far as Beta testing goes. The one really neat feature of Vista is the "aero-glass" effect. All of your open windows have a translucent/see-thru effect (assuming you've got the right v-card). I'm running a 2.4 AMD3300+ with an ATI X800XL and 1.5 G RAM. I'm beta0testing the X64 version presently and can tell you that XP is sooo boring when I have to switch back. The biggest "problem" right now is the lack of a viable a/v program (Norton says theri Corp edition works with Vista but I've used their "trial d/l" and it didn't work for me). No ATI drivers yet (Build 5308 was ATI's last update and we're on Build 5381 now..lol) but Vistas own drivers work well enough. Most 32-bit programseither fail to install or crash so lots of work needed there :-)!

Collapse -
Vista problems.
by hawk318 / October 13, 2006 11:27 PM PDT

Better figure if your PC is over 3 yrs old, buy a new one.
Vista is coming in many flavors and in order to run the bells and whistles you'll need a fast cpu and ms recommends at a minimum 1 GB of ram and one of the newer video cards.....

Will probable run on a lesser machine, but it would have to be without the goodies, just stock Vista.

I'd wait if you can for the longer the better, as once Vista is released there will be tons of patches for the 1st 6 to 10 months.... I prefer to wait a year before getting any major new MS product or in the case OS.... Something goes wrong... Is having the newest worth chancing losing all your info if some unforseen thing happens?

Collapse -
I ran the VistaAdvisor at www.microsoft.com
by DarCLew2 / October 14, 2006 1:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Vista problems.

It had a place were the minimum requirements were listed for now. It had 512 MB RAM and a CPU of 800 Mhz.
I hit the following snags: CPU standard is 750Mhz (one goes to video) but if I find out to overclock, it is listed as 800 Mhz. . [ Also, I can update to 768 MB ram max. ]
The second item had to do with a need for msmxl6.0 but that won't install uless I have the CPU changed to 800Mhz.
Link for Vista: Get ready for Windows Vista: Run the upgrade advisor on your PC today.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/default.mspx

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!