The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Windows Vista

by AndyInTN / February 13, 2006 7:16 AM PST

You know that time it takes to start up your computer and login, why not display ads there! (according to this blog)

http://tinyurl.com/d2zmw

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Vista
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Vista
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
oh for...
by MacHugger / February 13, 2006 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: Windows Vista

I hate Microsoft as much as the next guy - my name is MACHUGGER, for god's sake, but I don't see how it's anti-trust for Microsoft to put whatever it wants on its startup screen.

Is it antitrust for NBC to promote its own shows when hundreds of millions tune in for the Olympics? Or, Fox to promote Fox shows on American Idol? How about ABC with the Superbowl?

So why can't Microsoft do a little self-promotion in that space?

I think it's annoying and if Apple ever does that, I'll raise h*ll but I don't see how it's antitrust behavior from Microsoft.

-Kevin S.

PS is anybody else sick and tired of hearing the words ''law suit'' in the tech industry?

Collapse -
Something to remember...
by rtemp / February 13, 2006 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: oh for...

A lot of not-so-tech-savvy people will see the ads for Macroshaft, er, Microsoft produts on the screen and think that they are the ONLY way to get certain features. For example, Microsoft might talk about how wonderful of a browsing experience you get with IE, and as such, it's the only thing that people associate with the internet (even going so far as to call IE "The Internet").

This problem does not exist on TV. Nobody ever thinks that ABC (or any other network) is the only channel available, so they don't face the same issue.

Of course, this all changes if other companies start Welcome Screen advertising. In which case, it will just suck to be using Windows.

-Ryan
(using Linux right now)

Collapse -
counterpoint
by rtemp / February 14, 2006 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: oh for...

Rmember the majority of people living in Macroshaft's, er, Microsoft's world are not very well-versed in computers. They tend to do whatever they are asked to do by big brother as long as it makes the right promises.
Example:
Want to write things? Use Word, available by purchasing Office.

The reason why this is not the same thing as networks do is because people know that ABC or NBC or (insert network here) isn't the only place that they can go to watch TV.

May the Flying Spaghetti Monster help us all if they let anybody under the sun advertise in this space.

(I swear I posted this yesterday, I guess I forgot to hit "submit")

-Ryan

Collapse -
Respectfully Disagree
by AndyInTN / February 14, 2006 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: counterpoint

<quote>

Rmember the majority of people living in Macroshaft's, er, Microsoft's world are not very well-versed in computers.

</quote>

Really?

Collapse -
my experience
by rtemp / February 14, 2006 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: Respectfully Disagree

That's the impression from everyone I've ever talked to that owns a computer.
Of course outliers exist, as they always do.

Forgive me if I'm mistaken.

-Ryan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Forgiven
by AndyInTN / February 14, 2006 8:05 AM PST
In reply to: my experience
Collapse -
Hmmmmmm
by scott_wilder / February 13, 2006 8:18 AM PST

You know, it's just the whole is-my-computer-really-mine thing again.

I pay for a bunch of components, I pay for a legal copy of XP. I pay because I want the computer to do what I want it to do. If I wanted to view ads; I would buy an app that puts apps on my screen.

This is seriously not cool. The only way this works is if MS is actively monitoring my windows usage and continually downloads new ads to target my interests. That's way too invasive for my taste.

no thanks. I'll pass and force my wife to join me in OS X land

scott

Collapse -
Reason 4323 why I "switched".
by canuckmakem / February 13, 2006 10:26 AM PST

You know this just makes me madder than a mad thing thats really quite mad.

They just don't get it do they.... but the sad thing is that 90% of the general population won't even care.

Collapse -
that's pretty frustrating in itself
by scott_wilder / February 13, 2006 8:24 PM PST

We really are minority that know the advantages of things like RSS and podcasting.

90% of users still think a PC is just for email, web browsing, and office docs.

<sigh>

Scott

Collapse -
Another reason
by bknowledge / February 14, 2006 3:52 AM PST

... to stick with XP or switch to Mac. So is he going to pass on some of the billons that this plan will make to the consumer. So I'll pay $300 for an OS that displays Ads each time I turn on my PC on top of what I pay to stop them when I'm online. What about age appropriate ads, you'll what moniter who signs in and then turn around and give it to ....?

Collapse -
Good Point
by AndyInTN / February 14, 2006 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: Another reason

I don't want to pay $300 (OR MORE, which I'm afraid we will be paying more for Vista) and then see ads. Do they not understand when you PAY for something you shouldn't get ads. Thats usually how it works.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.