Question

Windows Updates , Office 2010 problem

Tired of this issue someone please help. I bought microsoft office 2010(last year) and installed it on my computer (running at the time Xp Service Pack 3) installed fine. Later got a virus or at least what I thought was a virus and reinstalled computer to factory settings. I find I cant install office 2010 because I needed service pack 3, I tried reinstalling it and it would not work(would not update) went to microsoft update website to try reinstalling,still didin't work. There were many more updates to install naturally.Net Framework, security updates ect... My question is what do I have to install if im at service pack 2 on Xp to get to service pack 3 so I can install office 2010. I think it might have to do with .Net framework not sure, I cant install any new updates ti'll I get service pack 3, and cant install SP3 unti'l I guess something else needs to be installed. This is a real pain in the *** and I really need help on this. Also is this a common issue among windows after reinstalling to factoring settings?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Windows Updates , Office 2010 problem
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Windows Updates , Office 2010 problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
About .net

It's rarely a required install. But beyond that I don't have much to work with such any error message or code.

Tell more.

- Collapse -
Error Code Non-existent

There is no error code, when I try to install it it reads 0 as in no data, on the corner that should say how big the file is. That's why when I try to install it it does it goes through the motions quickly to let me know it can't be installed.

- Collapse -
Let me put this another way.

Since we rarely need .NET why not let it fail and move on?

And there are long discussions about the failing .NET updates. Did you use those or did you need a google search link about that old issue?
Bob

- Collapse -
I was refering to XP SP3

I meant XP SP3, I can't install it and it is required in order to install MS Office 2010, when I go to Microsoft Update website(let it review all neccesary updates for my PC) and try to install XP SP3(Because Automatic Updates Wouldn't update it), it reads as 0 like there is no data there. I clicked on it to make sure it was selected but it has no affect.

- Collapse -
So how about the old fashioned SP3 install?

Step 1. Backup the machine (I use Clonezilla and an external big HDD.)
Step 2. Download the full SP3 version (just google it?)
Step 3. Make the machine "very plain." Any odd ball apps or security? Drop offline, disable the things that can get in the way and then install SP3.

Beware that those pirate copies of XP do fail about this step so that's partially why we have step 1. Just in case.
Bob

CNET Forums