Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Resolved Question

Windows Updates

by michhala / October 17, 2014 10:14 AM PDT

There were 16 Important Updates for me....I chose to install in two groups of 8. The first group of 8 installed fine, but the second group stopped after downloading and would not install. History showed 4 failures and 1 canceled. Finally got it going again and WU successfully installed 3 of the 4 failures and the 1 canceled. One failed update (KB2984981) was completely left out of the successful reinstall.

My question is should I not worry about the 1 failed update that was not reinstalled and hope Windows Update will realize the error and bring it forward again, or should I download it myself from Microsoft? I am wondering if I was meant to have it or not.

Miki
Windows 7 64-bit

michhala has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Windows Updates
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Windows Updates
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by michhala

Collapse -
Read what happened next day.
by michhala / October 18, 2014 4:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows Updates

After each WU group or individual install mentioned in my OP yesterday, I did a restart but the failed and cancelled updates remained in History. About 12 hrs later I shut down the computer for the night. When I turned on the computer next morning (today) my Windows Update told me new updates were installed.....I checked my History, and it was born anew -- it showed 21 successful installs, and the 4 failures and 1 cancelled that were there yesterday had disappeared. Although I ended up with 5 extras (probably the 4 failures and 1 cancelled) and not the original 16, I am going to accept the "magic" at face value Happy

Miki

Collapse -
Yep, I've Had That Happen Also
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 18, 2014 5:27 AM PDT

The computer glitched the first time and basically healed itself after being completely shut down over night.. As long as the updates installed, I see no problems for you.

Just for info: I've installed all the recent updates on our Windows 7 machines and have had no problems so far.. All installed the first time from the Windows Updates site, the computers shut down and restarted correctly..

In addition, all the updates for Java 8 Update 25 and Flash player installed correctly also.. One thing a little unusual about the Java install this time.. As usual, I manually uninstall the previous versions of Java from the Control Panel-Programs and Features, then I reinstall both of the new Java x64 and Java x32 on the computer.. This time, just to make sure that all remnants were gone from the C:\Windows\Programs Files(x86)\Java and C:\Windows\Programs Files\Java folder, I opened the folders and to my surprise, the previous folder for "JRE1.8.0.20" was still there. (That's the old installation folder for "Java 8 Update 20".) Easy enough, I simply deleted the old version subfolders from each location and it went away, but it was a little abnormal as uninstalling the previous version should make the older version disappear from both locations.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Your post reassured me...
by michhala / October 19, 2014 1:07 PM PDT

Thank you, Grif, I feel much better now.

RE Java -- Some time ago we were having multiple problems with Java and I removed it from Programs and Features. Since I am not aware of any problems caused by my so doing, I have not reinstalled. However, I often do a Search for remnants of a program I have uninstalled and find related folders in C:\Windows\Program Files (x86). I used to do the Search on my XP machine and manually remove the related folders with no harm done. That said, on my Windows 7 I am not as brave and leave the folders as is.... the old adage "don't fix if not broken" comes to mind. Would you believe I used to go into the Registry and manually remove, too.

Miki

Collapse -
(NT) Grif your post resolved and was best answer
by michhala / October 19, 2014 1:11 PM PDT
Collapse -
Yep, About Java: If You Don't Need It, Leave It Uninstalled
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 20, 2014 9:12 AM PDT

I need it on a couple of sites I use, but if you're seeing no ill effects from it being gone, great. It's just another possible vulnerability, and another update, that would need to be done.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Agree with Grif.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / October 20, 2014 9:16 AM PDT

I got rid of it ages ago and have seen no side effects.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
(NT) My thanks, Dafydd
by michhala / October 21, 2014 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Agree with Grif.
Collapse -
(NT) Thank you, Grif
by michhala / October 21, 2014 5:47 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?